93 nissan altima

I am having trouble starting the car. I try cleaning the batteries cable. Which at first it did work. But then it started with the same problem again. I don't know what to do. I need help with my probelem

Reply to
upsetlonda

You need to tell us a little more:

Is it turning over but not starting ? In other words, you hear the noise as if it wants to start but doesn't? If so, do you smell gas if you've been trying this for a while?

Or is it not turning over at all? If so, do your dash lights come on when you turn the key right before the start position? Do you hear a fairly loud 'click' come from the engine compartment with the hood open?

Remco

Reply to
Remco

One more question: Or does it start to turn over but then slows down and stops?

Reply to
Remco

I cleaned cable ends of the battery. It still will not start.I also tried jumping it but it would not start.But the battery has plenty of power. What should I do now?

Reply to
upsetlonda

It is making no noise when I start it.

Reply to
upsetlonda

Ok - are your dash lights coming on?

Reply to
remco

It's not making any noise. I check all the fuses. They are fine. I try jumping the car and still will not start. The battery was check again and it is fine. All the lights, the horn and the panel lights are working. The car refuses to start. At this point I don't know what else to do. And also I thought maybe the battery was corruded maybe that's could cause problems to the wiring and anti theft system that came with the car.

Reply to
upsetlonda

jeez , replace the freaking starter already

Reply to
NissTech

I agree that there's a good chance that it is the starter, but based on what she had indicated I don't think you can be sure yet, can you? The battery wire being totally off would do what she has mentioned thus far.

Reply to
Remco

Scratch that -- i missed see her last message where the horn works. Most likely the starter.

Reply to
Remco

You checked the fuses but did you check the fuseable links as well? They are under the hood in the fuse compartment.

If I told you to find your starter, would you know where to locate it? Are you comfortable doing minor repairs to your car. I don't want to suggest anything that could be dangerous to you or your car.

The following things are simple: If you know where to find your stater, open the hood and have someone try and start the car while you listen for a 'click' coming from that general direction. If you hear a click, it is most likely not your antitheft system or ignition switch but most likely your starter or a wire going to your starter. In that case, get a piece of wood (like a two foot two by four). Place one end of it on the starter. Whack the other end of the piece of wood with a hammer. Don't hit it too hard - you don't want to ding the starter, just mechanically shock it. There's a pretty good chance that it starts if it is the starter. At least you'll be able to drive it to a repair place this way. Not knowing how comfortable you are being under the hood, I am reluctant to have you try this: you could check the fat connection from the battery to the starter. Clean both sides well and secure them well.

If you don't hear a click, it might still be your starter but will take some probing around with a volt meter -- again, are you comfortable doing that? In that case, it could be your starter, theft system, ignition switch.

Nissantech is most likely right -- my money is on the starter as well.

Reply to
Remco

Have you tried starting it with the transmission in "neutral"? Sometimes my 93 Altima won't start in "park," only in neutral.

Reply to
Stuck_in_Iraq

Have you tried starting the car with the transmission in "Neutral"? Sometimes my 93 Altima won't start in "Park," only in "Neutral."

Reply to
Stuck_in_Iraq