Altima 97 with yellow engine light on

I have an Altima 97 with 19k miles on. Recently, the yellow engine light came on. I borrowed an electronic code reader which indicated that there was a problem with an oxygen sensor. Then the light went out by itself, so I thought this was just a glitch, but it came back on. Any ideas what this may be caused by? If it is indeed an oxygen sensor, is it something I can fix myself or do I need to take it to a shop? BTW, I don't know if this is relevant, but the car passed the smog check a few months ago.

Thanks,

"a" wrote in news:dHFkf.36011$ snipped-for-privacy@newssvr14.news.prodigy.com:

Sounds like mine. There are two O2 sensors one before the cat converter and one after. The scan tool should have told you which one was bad. I can also read the sensor to tell if it is currently working. With the O2 sensor in-op the car will run in open loop mode. You may notice a performance difference (mine pings).

Replacing the O2 sensor is relitivly easy. You will find it stuck into the tail pipe just before of after the Cat converter. Before you replace it, try cleaning the connector contacts.

As for the light going out. It will go out if no trouble is detected for six consecutive trips.

Reply to
Gordon reeder

Thanks for your reply.

I think it was the O1 sensor.

Is the O1 sensor in the same place and easy to replace?

This may indicate that the sensor is not faulty, but there may be a bad connection.

Thanks for the advice!

Sorry about the confusion: O2 = Oxygen.

#1 O2 sensor is in the manifold, #2 sensor is in the tail pipe after the cat converter.

Reply to
Gordon reeder