Bad Starter or electrical short..... starter location ?

have a 94 Altima GLE that has either an electrical short or a ba

starter. I bought this car with the the problem for cheap$$$

When I turn the key, sometimes it will start, but when it will not start

the previous owner said to tap the area just to the left of the throttl cables where the cables run up the block on the left side of the engine. I use a metal rod and tap lightly ( less than hammering a small nail). Ol owner said the starter has a short or is going bad and a couple of tap will make it work

So far so good, it works, but eventually the starter will fail. Owne

also suggested it could be the ignition, but if the ignition were bad, th starter would turn over, but the engine would not fire

Where exactly is the starter located ? I cannot see it from the top side

nor can I see it when I jack up the car and crawl underneath. I look i the general area where I tap the starter, but I cannot see it. If I coul see it, then I could check the wiring and or replace the starter.

Any advice will be greatly appreciated. I fyou have a shop manual onlin

or instructions, that would be great. Thanks

Willia

-- micron66

View this thread:

Send from

micron66

Also, I should point out that after tapping the starter and cranking the engine some accessories do not work. Sometimes the radio, windshield wipers and power mirrors will not work, nor will the HUD heads up display.

Usually, I tap the starter and everything will work. I turn off the engine an

next time I start the engine, the engine will turn over and start but these accessories will not not work. The third time, the engine will not turn over, so I tap the starter and the engine will crank, accessories work. Sounds crazy but it works, then it will not work so thats why I also suggest an electrical short

-- micron66

View this thread:

Send from

micron66