Starter problems, short or bad starter?? Starter location

I have a 94 Altima GLE that has either an electrical short or a bad starter. I bought this car with the the problem for cheap$$$.

When I turn the key, sometimes it will start, but when it will not start, the previous owner said to tap the area just to the left of the throttle cables where the cables run up the block on the left side of the engine. I use a metal rod and tap lightly ( less than hammering a small nail). Old owner said the starter has a short or is going bad and a couple of taps will make it work.

So far so good, it works, but eventually the starter will fail. Owner also suggested it could be the ignition, but if the ignition were bad, the starter would turn over, but the engine would not fire.

Where exactly is the starter located ? I cannot see it from the top side, nor can I see it when I jack up the car and crawl underneath. I look in the general area where I tap the starter, but I cannot see it. If I could see it, then I could check the wiring and or replace the starter.

Any advice will be greatly appreciated. I fyou have a shop manual online or instructions, that would be great. Thanks.

William

Reply to
WildBill66