Drip Drip... gas leak (need to identify hose)

Hello,

I have 95 GXE Nissan Altima (2.4 manual transmission).

It is at 151k miles right now. It drives pretty good. It gives pretty good mileage too (or it used to anyway :)) 28-32mgp (street/highway). Right now however I am getting around 15 to 20 mpg. According to friends advice, I got the following done:

1) Air pressure checked and filled in. 2) Major tune-up + oil change (it was due for this anyway)

Even after that, I didn't see any improvement in the gas mileage. So I did a manual inspection of the engine, and fortunately I checked the gas tank (you'd think those mechanics would have looked there while doing the tuneup oil change). And guess what - I found a drip leakage (approximately 0.5 drops per second). I bought those gas tank repair kits, and crawled in there. And found out that the gas tank was not leaking, it was the stupid hose that is connected to gas tank that was leaking.

Can i replace this hose by myself? ( I am not that handy, but I guess if I have the right tools I could get the job done).

Now I would like to be better prepared when I go the mechanic for an estimate. Does anyone have any advice in this department? Right now I don't know how much that hose costs. I don't want to be dumbfounded when the mechanic is like " Ohh yeah that hose is made from gold-alluminum alloy and it costs $300, we'll give you a discount at $250".

So if anyone can identify that part I can look it up online (i tried googling a bit plus tried to find it on popular car parts sites - to no avail).

Aman

Reply to
Aman Patel