Gas leak on '96 850 YIKES!!!!!

I just filled the car up and the pump kicked off as normal when full. I have done this same way every time I have ever bought gas, FYI. I was walking back to car from store and noticed gas leaking from under the car right below where the gas intake/fuel door is where the hose goes in from the pump. I looked under car and right where the down pipe goes into the tank it was drip, drip , dripping. There is a sort of collar there. Scared me pretty good, I (perhaps foolishly) drove it home and at home 2 miles from store it was no longer leaking.

What do you guys think? It's Saturday, no mechanic till Monday, should I drive it?

Reply to
Steve J.

It might be the fuel pump seal that has gone bad. go into the trunk and lift up the carpet, you will see a round cover screwed onto the floor take it off and you will have access to the fuel pump. is there gas pooled around the seal? take a look.

Reply to
Jerry

Thanks for replies. On a hunch I went by my mechanics shop (he is real good guy. I knew he wouldn't mind seeing me if he was there.) this Sunday AM. Voila, he was there! (I'm about 1/2 psychic) He looked at it and said the vent pipe (rubber) on the top of the tank was bad. Sort of perforated, rotten. Looked OK to drive home, as it was not leaking with tank no longer brim full. Will fix Monday. Thanks again.

Steve

Reply to
Steve J.

It should be fine. There is a drain at the bottom of the filler well opening, so fuel will not run on the outside. It was probably hot when you filled up, and the gas expanded a bit.

Reply to
Jeff Lesperance