Nissan Altima 96.. excessive oil leaks around the engine

Dear all,

This Altima is 96 GXE, its has 139K miles on it and runs great.

Until 100K miles I was in TN and the engine block was sparkingly clean.It looked like new.

At around 120K,I saw that the engine rotatiion where incosistent and finally discovered that the distributor is faulty.My menchanic cleaned the distrbituor (had a pool of oil inside it, possible cause , leakeage from the engine into the distributor).Once cleaned the car again was running great.

It now has 139K on it, it had gone thru two terrible snowy winter season in the notheast (last year and year before last),since I moved to the northeast.

But it still performs very well.

The only thing that is bothering me is that,now under the hood I see oil leaking from the top of the engine and ,the whole thing is oil covered,every hose,every thing around the engine.

I found that Nissan had an O ring recall on this vehicle.Is this leak a possible O ring failure.If yes,am I still eligible,I am the FIRST owner of the vehilce,bought it brand new.

Please advise.

Thaks in advance.

Reply to
Alex

Did the mech locate the source of the oil leak? Was the oil inside or outside of the distributor?? If inside, then the o-ring/seal is leaking and need replacing. Some of the distributor design require you replace the entire unit to fix the oil leak, there is also a o-ring on the outside of the distributor, this one normaly leaks and should be changed out. Oil leak maybe coming from leaking valve cover gaskets, try to locate source.

Reply to
jjjsan

Mine was leaking oil at the top of the engine as well quite a bit so I replaced the valve cover gaskets yes I said 2 and now it is not leaking

Reply to
AdroAltima