camry leaks oil

it looks like it is leaking where the belts are. any ideas. Thanks

Reply to
NU4LIFE

Like what year camry??? Some leaked oil from the distributor but we need a hint. Some got head gasket leaks. My father'sdeveloped a leak from the rear seal. Could be a bad valve cover gasket.

Reply to
Art

Which engine is it? Is it leaking onto the belts or just near them? Which belts do you mean (alternator, power steering)? Have you tried looking carefully while the engine is running to see if its seeping or dripping out anywhere?

I just recently replaced the oil pump seals and o-ring on my 92' 4-Cyl...

Reply to
JCM900

There are several seals behind the timing belt cover that could leak, the oil pump seal, the valve cover gasket too.

Reply to
ROBMURR

It is a 96 Camry,5S-FE

Reply to
NU4LIFE

When I bought my '96 5SFE,..all the seals were leaking on the front (LHS) of the engine and the rear (crankshaft rear seal).

In my case they had all gone hard and ceased to function as seals thanx to too few oil-changes.

You need to remove the timing belt cover to inspect the front seals. The rear, if its not dripping too much, may be good enought toignore.

Jason

Reply to
Jason James

Here are the places oil can leak (I'm ignoring the rear main seal, because you need to pull the engine or transmission for that one)

Under the front timing belt cover: crankshaft main front oil seal oil pump oil seal, oil pump cover O-ring camshaft front oil seal

Valve cover area: valve cover gasket, oil cap gasket, distributor O-ring, PCV valve grommet

Plus possible leaks at the oil pan gasket, and/ or transmission pan gasket

Actually, apart from the labor , most of this is fairly reasonable in price, around $5 for the smaller seals, perhaps $12 for the valve cover gasket. Oil pan and transmission can be a bit more, but overall, parts required are not expensive.

Most of this would typically be done with the timing belt replacement since you'd be looking right at the front oil seals.

There's a special tool to press in the camshaft oil seal, (best and easiest way to work with limited clearance near the strut tower) or you can remove the top half ot the cam bearing.

Reply to
Daniel M. Dreifus