Smoke 1995 Altima

Right now I am at 163,000 on this one that I bought at 60,000. I take good care of it and it gets regular oil and filter changes. It otherwise performs great as it always has. Suddenly seeing a sort of smoke after an idle and sucessive acceleration has me wondering that it may not actually be oil. Yet, I see it is a quart low since the last change 2800 miles ago. I'm suspicious of the smoke because it does not smell like burnt oil. If anything, it smells as if the mixture seems rich.

Althought the mileage speaks "Rebuild me."', and before I do a compression test does anyone know of anything else I might check?

Reply to
Gar

Have you got an exhaust leak?

I have a similar problem.

First off... I see that you posted this over 6 months ago and that no one has yet responded. So you may or may not have solved your problem.

I popped in to this group and posted my problem as follows:

---- Posted April 17/04 ------ My car is a 94 Nissan Altima (2.4 litre). What might cause it to consume huge amounts of fuel? (it uses up 3/4 of a tank on a 20 mile round trip across town - no traffic - no idling etc.). Other symptoms - runs very rough with diminished power - produces huge dense clouds of smoke that smell a bit like gas. This is a somewhat intermittent behaviour. There is a tiny exhaust leak either at the head/manifold or manifold/exhaust pipe connection. (the sound is similar to a bad muffler, but originates under the hood near the motor)

Some suspicions - flakey electrical component (fuel controller?) or flakey injector.

---- Posted April 17/04 ------

What I have discoverd so far is that exhaust leak cause pressure drop in the mannifold. Subsequently, the sensor, there, sends faulty information to the fuel system which yields an extremely rich fuel supply.

This, some how makes sense to me and I am going to replace the O-ring gasket at the mannifold/downpipe connection.

It's an inexpensive fix I can do myself.

Gar wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

Reply to
WNeill