850 wagon gas mileage

I have a 96 850 GLT non turbo wagon that I bought used a couple of monthe ago with 129,00 miles on it. I've been getting only about 15 or

16 miles per gallon driving conservitively in mostly local city type driving using 89 octane fuel. It also has a very strong exhaust odor so maybe it's wasting fuel. I don't have any service history on the car. I've replaced the air filter and spark plugs but not the ignition wires which seem to be in pretty good shape. I used the standard Bosch paltinum plugs. I bought a new distributor cap and rotor but didn't install them yet.

Is this the mileage I should expect or is something wrong?

Thanks,

Bill

Reply to
williamregan

That doesn't sound very good. I presume you're talking about US gallons. But

16 miles per US gallon is still less than 20 miles per 'real' (Imperial) gallon - which is pretty diabolical.

I would get it thoroughly checked over.

Reply to
Roger Mills

Like the man said, 'Nobody ever bought a Volvo for the fuel economy'.

cheers, :-)

Henry

Reply to
Henry

Our UK imperial S70 2.5 gets 32mpg or so *average*... Tim..

Reply to
Tim..

Our V70 non-turbo gets around 33 to 35 mpg on the highway, about 25 in straight city driving.

Tim.. wrote:

Reply to
Inno

You should get at least low to mid 20s around town, something is wrong.

Reply to
James Sweet

I get 24-25 mpg with general all around driving on both a '93 and '95

850 non-turbo wagon using the lowest octane gas I can buy. It sounds like your pollution system is bad. Probably the oxygen sensor or flame trap. How long has the check engine light been on?
Reply to
Stephen Henning

Reply to
Inno

A bad O2 sensor can cause poor gas mileage and the strong smell of an over rich mixture.

A bad flame trap shouldn't affect gas mileage much, but it would cause crank case fumes to be released rather than burned causing a bad odor. It also increases oil consumption.

Reply to
Stephen Henning

Where is my flame trap (V70) and how can I check it? I am using about

1l oil every 1,000 or so recently.

Thanks.

Stephen Henn>

Reply to
Inno

Reply to
williamregan

My V70XC gets about that.

Before that, my 240s used to get 12-14mpg.

So I look at it as an improvement!

Reply to
Bob (but not THAT Bob)

And what was wrong with them? ;)

I get about double that, even on my petrol-hungry '90 245 with B230F and AW-70... mostly on highway, naturally, but 12--14 sounds a lot even in town.

Reply to
Sakari Ailus

Reply to
Inno

Go to:

And enter:

All Words: V70 Flame Trap Group: alt.autos.volvo

Set to: 100 messages

and then click "Gougle Search"

You will find many discussions on where it is and what to do.

Reply to
Stephen Henning

I got that low in my 240 once, it was the few days after I first cranked the turbo boost up to 17 psi and was flooring it practically every chance I had. Driving more reasonably I get close to 20mpg mixed even with the old mechanical injection and turbo. A standard 240 will get mid to high 20s if everything is in good order.

Reply to
James Sweet

They are by about 300 lbs, they also have a slightly lower coefficient of drag. My mom has a 245 with a manual gearbox and it occasionally manages a hair over 30 mpg if it's all on the highway.

Reply to
James Sweet

Is that with manual or automatic transmission?

There's some kind of reference here:

Actually I think that this 23--24 mpg I'm getting on mine is so bad that I'm even considering to have the engine and the transmission replaced with a VW diesel and an M-47. ;-( At least the gearbox. There could be something wrong with the autobox, I guess... it's (I think it's the gearbox!) making hissing noises occasionally but still switches nicely. Oil is okay.

Reply to
Sakari Ailus

It would be helpful in this discussion if respondents specified which type of gallon they are referring to - since an Imperial gallon is more than 20% greater than a US gallon, and makes quite a difference to the mpg figures!

Only then can we be sure that we are comparing apples with apples.

Reply to
Roger Mills

Reply to
williamregan