1995 Maxima, Bad Fuel Injector?

I've got a 1995 Nissan Maxima. It started running rough, and the service engine light came on. The ECM codes indicated a multiple cylinder misfire and knock sensor. It did not indicate which cylinders had problems. To determine which ones they were, I removed the injector control wire from each cylinder while the engine was running, one at a time. The idle got rougher for every cylinder except for one, the front left cylinder (when looking at the engine while facing the front of the car). For good measure, I replaced the spark plugs on each of the three front cylinders. It made no difference. I switched the ignition coil of the offending cylinder, and did the injector control wire test again. Same result, seeming to point to a bad injector.

I removed the front fuel rail, in order to change the injector. After removing the retainer screws and cap from each injector, neither of the three will budge. The Chilton ervice manual I have says to simply remove the injector from the rail. I can spin them in place with a good deal of force. Anyone know what I am missing?

Thanks

Reply to
Joey P

The injectors are being held in place by o-ring friction. The o-rings are compressed against what is now a dried out surface, so friction is going to be pretty high. Try squirting a little lubricant at the base of the injector. Other than that, you've just got to pull harder. They'll eventually pop out if you pull hard enough.

Steve

Reply to
Steve Manifold

Yeah, this is the business alright. When I did this on my third gen at

100,000 miles and about six years, I used a piece of heavy gauge coat hanger wire bent to make a clamp to the notches in the injector, and then a breaking bar as a lever against the engine block to lever it out. Even with all of that, I had one hard time getting the injectors out.

I thought that that description might help.

All the best -

Howard

Thanks guys,

I pounded the old injector out of the rail, and replaced it with the new one. It wouldn't easily go into the rail either. Had to use the injector cap and screws to force it in. Doesn't seem like the Chiltons manual for the 95 maxima is all that great in its descriptions...

Car runs great now. Thanks for the help.

Joe

Reply to
Joey P