Re: 1993 a/c question

If the system is low on refrigerat (it is r134a in this case) and the compressor does not engage, wil we still see the bubbles on the sight glass? Im not too worried about servicing it myself, but I dont know if its legal in canada to do so.

I'm not sure if the 93's have the 134a system. My 94 has it and makes some > friggin' cold air. > No, missing a shrader valve dust cover will not allow leakage of the > refrigerant. Your system may just be low on the refrigerant and if it is, > the compressor will not engage due to the low pressure cut-off switch not > sensing enough pressure on the return side. With too low a pressure on the > return side, the compressor will not receive adequate lubricating oil that > is carried by the refrigerant (R12 or R134a). You can do a visual check to > see if your refrigerant is low by looking into the little sight glass on the > receiver that is located low next to the radiator on the driver side. Turn > on the system and take a look. If you see bubbles or foam passing through > the sight glass, and then the compressor cuts out, you know you are low on > refrigerant. If you don't know how to service an auto a/c system, you > should have it serviced at your local shop. > > Chris > 90 & 94 GXE's > > > The a/c on my 1993 maxima gxe does not seem to cool at all and I > think(hope) > > it might be the freon. There is a small valve/opening near the compressor > > that I thnk is the pressure relief valve. It looks like it has a small > > needel coming out of it. It also looks like it should have a cover, but > none > > is present. Could it have leaked out from there if the cover is missing. > > Also, is there an easy way to check if the compressor is working? I have > > read that if the freon has fallen below a certain level, the compressor > > shuts off. > > I played around with the self diagnostics on the digital climate control, > > but would there be any other tests that could be run without draining the > > freon? > > Thanks > > > > > >
Reply to
Paul Drogaris

If the compressor doesn't engaged you won't see bubbles.

Easy way to find out is if the service kits are sold in auto stores :-) If it is illegal, and you aren't to far from the border, drive to US, buy the kit at a Wallyworld and go to a park to do it yourself. It's a 15 minute job and you don't even need grubbies! Dump the kit and go home.

We do the same thing in Mexico with r12 systems.

A kit will have a hose w/gage and at least one 16 oz can of r134a refigerant for $15-25 US. Instructions are simple. Extra cans are cheap... maybe $5 US??

If your compressor won't start because of low pressure you'll need more than one can; you'll probably also need an oil charge.

And this brings up the question of why it all leaked out... maybe a loose fitting or damaged hose. If that's the case you'll have an accumulation of oil and dirt where the leak is... check carefully.

BuddyWh

Reply to
BuddyWh