1995 Maxima GXE, 2 problems

Problem 1.

The other day, I used the remote to unlock the car doors. In fact, it was the same day the power went out, as we had gone to Quebec that day to go swimming, there being no power and no air conditioning. So, I unlocked the doors, we packed dup and drove home. When we arrived I Attempted to lock the doors, but the system would not work. What I have observed is that the alarm will arm and will engage properly to protect the car, as long as I open the driver door, lock all the locks and then close the driver door. If I sit in the car and lock all the doors, the alarm will not arm. The remotes, neither of them, batteries verified OK, do not work. I attempted the reprogramming sequence twice, but it never works.

Any ideas?

Problem 2

I bought the car used a few years ago. I complained in the first few weeks to the dealer that I had experienced uncontrolled acceleration on occasion. Characteristically, on a very hot day, the engine RPM would remain at 2500 RPM or so, or sometimes after I had come to a stop, the RPM would suddenly go up to 2500 RPM or so. I kept careful track of what was happening and could never get the dealer to experience the problem, but I did verify that unless I did some weird fancy contortions with both my feet, it was not a case of one foot on both Gas and Brake. The dealer relented after some complaints and replaced a large thing that was some kind of sensor, it makes the idle go up when the AC is on or makes the idle go up when the load on the alternator goes up or other things. They claimed that they fine tuned the adjustments and the problem should go away. Well, the manifestation of the problem declined to a point where it happened only 2 or 3 times a year. In the last 2 weeks, I have had the same thing start to happen again, the idle speed suddenly jumps to 2500 RPM or more as I am braking for a stop light or sign, or, while waiting for a light to change, the engine speed suddenly goes up to 2500 RPM or more.

Any ideas?

Regards, Richard Tomkins, a mostly happy Maxima owner.

Reply to
Richard Tomkins

The remotes will not lock the doors and the alarm will not set if the system thinks that there is a door still open. Check the wiring and sensors that signal the doors are closed. There is a rubber covered button on each door jamb. There is also one under the hood. Look to see if one of them has gotten knocked out of place.

Can't help here. I haven't had this experience.

Reply to
E. Meyer

I have the exact same problem. My remote no longer has any effect at all. Simply doesn't work. I checked the keyless2 relay under the hoodand it works. Checked the unit at the back, everything seems plugged in. I haven't checked all the closed door sensors, but I get the feeling it's not the problem. I can't reprogram the remote either, the hazards just don't flash at all. I've got a '95 also, but an SE.

Reply to
Sarky

I purchased the Nissan Service Manual for the 1995 Maxima. A very large book.

Anyhow, I did the run through for checking the door closed sensors and they check out.

I will try one of the more sophisticated diagnostic tests that causes the side lights to flash with a failure code and see what happens, for the alarm problem.

The sudden acceleration problem is a mystery so far. The dealer says that there are no failure codes latched up. Wish there was some way to attach a logging unit to the car so that I could stab a button when the problem happened and then maybe rollback the performance log to see what else was going on.

rtt

Reply to
Richard Tomkins

there is a product called Car Chips that logs your cars data through the service port that was standardized on all 1996+ domestic & import cars jcwhitney.com sells them type car chips into the keyword/item # search field... this stuff does make me wonder about the ease with which things can be recorded.... john

john