1995 maxima se..valve cover leak:(

Ok Ive let this problem go far enough! I can take the oil burning of the exhaust anymore. The rear one is leaking(why is it never the easy front one:)) Anyone have any idea how long of a project this is? Any pointers? or is it pretty straightforward? Plenum has to come off I see... Thanks for the help! :)Nel

Reply to
:

Ya -plenum has to come off - not "hard" - just time consuming because of all the extra unrelated stuff you have to dismantle/disconnect to get to the point where you can take the plenum itself off.

Once the plenum is off - it's just 8 bolts (IIRC) to get the valve cover off. While you have the rear VC off, you might want to replace the spark plug tube seals that press into the underside of the cover. These tends to crack with age and allow oil to leak into the spark plug chambers.

I would also recommend that you clean out the EGR port on the plenum and EGR guide tube itself. Both of these tend to clog up with deposits over time.

Further - since it's easier to some of the hoses/bolts with the throttle body removed from the plenum, if you do go that route, take a few minutes to clean out the throttle plate and IACV passages.

Good luck with the project.

Nirav

Reply to
njmodi

Hello Nirav...Thank You very much! I will keep this list with me while I work. Thanks again! :)Nel

Reply to
:

No probs - if you search for posts I made ~Summer 05 - you'll find things I struggled with, my successes and my failures. Feel free to email me at njmodi at yahoo dot com and I can tell you what tools you should have handy to help make this go smoothly.

Where are you geographically located?

Cheers, Nirav

96 Max GLE, 139k
Reply to
njmodi

Hello:) Thanks!! I really appreciate your help! Im in Florida...yourself??

Reply to
:

Illinois - so getting together to tackle this is out of the question unless you want to drive a long way... :)

Reply to
njmodi

:)..a little bit of a drive...although I was in Wisconsin a couple of months ago:) Where can I buy the stem for the lug nut? Do I bang it from the front to the back or?? Thanks again:)Nel

Reply to
:

Hey Nel, where in FL? I am in south broward county, Pembroke Pines to be exact. If we are close, you can count with my help.

Alex

:) wrote:

Reply to
AS

Hello:) Im in Duval County way up north(Jacksonville Florida). I appreciate the offer to help...my zip is 32258...I think you are pretty far away? Thanks again!:)Nel

Reply to
:

Yes, too far away, I am in 33029

:) wrote: