1997 Maxima Trans Problem?

I have a 1997 Nissan Maxima 155,000 miles and when you drive it shifts in the first 2 gears and slips on the 3rd (RPM keep going up). I got the check engine light and check the code (Solenoid Control Valve) and replaced it with exact nissan part. After putting everything back together the check engine light is still on and the car still acts the same way. Is this a Tranny problem? or has anyone else had this problem and found an easy fix?

Thanks in advance...

Reply to
me

Update;

I cleared the code in the computer and took it for a drive . It seems to slip between 2nd and 3rd until I step off the gas and reapply it , then it shifts.

Reply to
me

Reply to
JimV

I drained the fluid again and found some big chunks of metal in the drain pan. So I think the trans needs to be rebuilt or get a good rebuilt one..

Reply to
Mark

Just stay away from the cheap factory rebuilt ones. They often fail in

10 or 20 K.

Mark wrote:

Reply to
JimV

For future reference, where does one go to get a rebuilt/replacement tranny without getting taken for a ride? Where does the Nissan dealership get theirs?

I once had a relative who was a career transmission guy. Watched him rebuild a GM unit back in the 80s, and he showed me how many corners he could cut (as he was cutting them). Glad he never worked on any of mine.

JimV wrote:

Reply to
Pat

Good question. So far I checked around and it will run around $1,800 to $2,500 to rebuild the trans.

Reply to
me

I see them on ebay once in a while, salavaged out of a totalled car. I've heard bad things about trans rebuilders selling on there, maybe that was somebody in this NG or a forum I read? I'd guess the dealer uses an OE Jatco trans, I can't tell you if its new.

Reply to
Dave Stone

You're probably better off getting a lowish mileage used one rather than a rebuild. $600 for the trans and $200 to install it is fair. You do take a certain risk with this, but my experience has been good. Otherwise, ask around and find out who is a good rebuilder in your area.

-jim

snipped-for-privacy@Bost> For future reference, where does one go to get a rebuilt/replacement

Reply to
JimV
3 hours of labor to swap trannys sounds a little optimistic, even for a career pro. Too much stuff needs to come apart on these cars, from what I understand.

Dave

Reply to
David Geesaman