1998 SE Brake System

A month after buying the car used (Carfax OK) my brakes started making a very loud groaning noise when I take my foot off the pedal from a dead stop and I start idling forward. I've had the brakes looked at by Nissan

3 times with them saying each time there was no problem they could see (I was still under warranty). Over the last 30k miles I'm now on my third set of pads, the latest coming a month ago. The last servicing a private mechanic found one my rear calipers was frozen and rubbing the rotar. I had all 4 pads + rotars replaced as well as the 2 rear calipers. I thought that the problem was solved. The brakes worked well for 3 weeks, but now it's come back just as bad as before. My brakes are now groaning extremely bad as the weather gets warmer. If anyone has any ideas I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks!
Reply to
paddy21

If it is the back brakes, it is possible that your parking brake cable is corroded (sticking) and needs to be replaced. That happened to my 95 SE (rear pads and rotors needed to be replaced)

If you have any problem at all with either of the front pads, you may either have air in the brake system (not properly bled) or a seized caliper. The last car I had with a seized caliper was a Subaru 4WD sometime in the early 80's (probably moisture from off roading).

I have done extensive competition (parking lot slaloms and high speed autocross), and only once did I not get 30,000 miles out of a set of front pads. That was when I put fresh ones on during competition without breaking them in (they only lasted 20K mi). And rear pads lasted somewhere around 100,000 miles (until parking brake cable started sticking).

Reply to
David Efflandt

Great, thanks for the info. The car goes back in today to be looked at again. And if this doesn't work I'll have to part with it. Thanks again.

Reply to
paddy21