2000 GLE suspension

Well, after five years and almost 100K miles it seems that the ole Max's suspension is getting a bit mushy. When driving on the highway I'm starting to notice the side of the car dip more that usual when cornering. Also, after going over bumps I can feel a slight rocking that wasn't there before.

My question is: What type of struts/shocks would you recommend? Would it improve handeling if I went with struts that are stiffer than the originals? Any other advice?

Thanks,

Feynmanfan

Reply to
Feynmanfan

The OEM ones are best. KYB would be my second choice. At 100K anything you install will feel great in comparison.

Reply to
JimV

Reply to
John Smith

Easy to do yourself? Wouldn't I need special tools? Would you suggest replacing springs as well as struts? Anyone have an idea how much it would cost to do the front and rear?

Finally, do the Ebach springs provide a different ride from OEM?

Reply to
Feynmanfan

Yes, you would need a spring compressor along with a handful of basic sockets, but you could likely rent the compressor (I bought mine for about $20 years ago). The Eibach Pro-Kit (do NOT buy the Sport kit, as it rides way too hard) will lower the car about 1-1/4", and rides about as stiff as the SE suspension. If you are used to the GLE, you will find it stiffer but better handling.

Matthew

2K1 Max SE
Reply to
maxima1

True,

I love my Ebach spr>

Reply to
John Smith

Yipes!!!!

I hope that John was correct about this being an easy operation. I just took a stroll over to my friendly Nissan dealer and spoke with one of their eight "Assistant Service Managers" who quoted me the following prices:

1) Front Struts -- $782

2) Rear Struts -- $495

3) Small Tube of KY jelly -- Priceless

I'm half-way kidding about item #3, but considering the first two items it might not be a bad idea . . .

The prices do not include strut bearings, which he said they tend to replace only if they are making noise. I don't know, since I'm already way past a thousand bucks wouldn't it be prudent to put in new bearings as a precaution? Also not included is the $70 alignment. Do these prices seem reasonable?

Reply to
Feynmanfan

Reply to
John Smith