Changing Shocks/Suspension

It's been a while since I have had a chance to check out this newsgroup I thought I would throw in a question as I am thinking of doing some suspension changes to my rig. I have a 1996 Explorer XL. It only has about

75000 km on it and I am thinking of changing the shocks out. My friend said that he would do that every year with his car. I have not done it yet for my Explorer. What is the general time line for replacing shocks? It is probably a relatively cheap thing to do. Would it improve the ride quality as I feel that my rig doesn't ride like it used to. It used to corner quite well and handle bumps but now it seems skittish.
Reply to
Sherman Louie

Shocks are kind of a funny duck.... they start wearing out the first time we go over a bump and it doesn't ever stop..... There are way to many variables to give a finite number. The shocks wear out so slowly and so progressively that the "pants-o-meter" isn't a good indicator. Like you, most of us generally just wake up one morning and realize that the old buggy just don't ride like it used to.

For some, once a year might be overkill and for others, once a year might not be enough. Best bet.... play it by ear and watch for the sales....

Jim Warman