2000 I30 Shudder

My 2000 I30 has about 71K on it. Recentl, I've been experiencing the following problem:
When I brake normally (not hard or anything), I feel a slight shudder
just before the car stops. I don't feel the same shudder if I shift to neutral before braking. The tranny fluid was changed at a dealer about 7K miles ago. Its level seems to be OK and it's not burned or anything. Also, I noticed that when the tranny is about to downshift to 1st, rpms would go up a little and then continue go down. Is that normal? Is this a tranny problem?
The torque converter may not be disengaging smoothly.

How big of a problem is that? Why does it only happen on downshifts to the 1st? Is that the only time when the TC disengages?
Tom Stoeckle wrote:

Steve B. wrote:

I believe there were some service bulletins on the 2000's for shift solenoid issues. You might want to check with the dealer.