2000 maximas recalls/fixes?

Hi

I have a 2000 Maxima, still under engine/transmission warranty.

Can anyone tell me what the problems are in this model which I should take to a dealer and get worked out before they hit me after the warranty?

I have already have the P0420 problem (ECU reprogramming needed)

I heard

  1. There's a problem with flat acceleration under certain circumstances, for which they replace the tranny. How can I check this problem / show it to a dealer?
  2. There's a problem with the ignition coils. How can this be checked.

Any other problems that people are aware of?

Thanks

HH

Reply to
HH [remove .nospam from email]

If you had the coil problem you'd know it. To test the trans, on straight flat road doing around 30, stand on it. The trans should shift down smoothly and positively. If it delays, slips or hunts, it has the problem. You're changing the trans fluid at least every 30K right? Mandatory on the Max's.

-jim

HH [remove .nospam from email] wrote:

Reply to
JimV

Most dealers won't apply TSB's unless there is an observable problem. BTW, coil replacements aren't covered by the powertrain warranty (5/60). For a list/summary of the various TSB's check out Nissan's publication site

You can see PDF versions of some of the more "popular" TSB's at the following URL:
browse thru the
forums. The 5th generation forumhas a TSB sticky thread with some useful info.

Reply to
Dan

Thanks for the replies, guys. I found that owensfamily site, and looked at the TSB's and they didn't seem to apply to my VIN.

However, I will check out the acceleration from 30mph plus.

I bought the car at ~39k miles (right off a lease), looked at the tranny fluid and it seemed ok. however, I don't know if the previous owner ever changed the fluid (how much trouble do you take on a leased car?), so I will change it anyway.

Any other suggestions?

HH

Reply to
HH