91 Max. Electrical SHUTDOWN

Hey guys.. i have a 91 Max. SE, manual trans. recently ive been getting sudden "electrical Jerks" while driving. Sometimes they occure due to a bumpy road..and sometimes due to exessive acceleration. Due to this i have lost power to my power locks..

Let me expplain what i mean by "jerks"

ITs like my cd player lights and headlights give a "flash" like someone cut the power to them and turned pluged em back in, hence the "flash"

Recently, while driving, my stereo suddenly ran outta power, and 2 min later my car started loosing power and next thing i know..i was stuck on the road..At this point..not a single thing was workin..COMPLETE POWER SHUTOFF..no harzard, no automatic seatblets.. well.. when the car was being towed...and i looked back..the hazards came on suddenly..and when the car was docked back down...the went off...

NOw im really confused abou this. I changed my alternater last year (autozone)... also the sparks were changed a couple of months ago..the wiring and all... Plz if someone could help me out..that would be great

PS:let me know if u need anymore info

Reply to
Zondy

My first guess would be that you have a loose wire or a bad ground.

My second guess would be a wire somewhere that is actually broken inside the insulation. When it gets bounced around on the bumps, the ends of it either touch and everything works, or pull apart and everything stops.

Get a service manual so you can identify which wiring harness powers the different components and start ohm'ing out the wires, starting with the circuits that first exhibited the problem.

You can also try just giving each wiring harness a tug and see if you can find the one that is failing that way (pull it one way, the stuff stops, push it back the other and the stuff starts up again). Start with the wires coming off the battery and work your way out from there.

Since you had a complete shutdown, I think you will find the problem near the battery, alternator or in the supply wires coming into one of the main fuse boxes.

Reply to
E. Meyer

I went to autozone and got my alternator tested... It seems that it cannot be tested... the machine says that the alternator wasnt giving any output..and it said "alt wire"

thanks

Reply to
Zondy