92 max injector installation, HELP, leak!

Alright, i followed the instructions from chilton and various groups, did everthing kosher. reman python injectors. new gaskets on all parts. Starts and runs great! all cylinders firing BUT big time fuel LEAK!! It's coming out under front of engine and dripping on exhuast pipe. Cant see any leaking around injectors above or below. Under the car, looks like coming out near head gasket, but heads were fine before. I'm stumped. The only thing is i tightened the fuel rail mounting bolts to 13ft pounds, NOW i find people are saying 2lbs! Couldnt have found this BEFORE i did it!!! 2lbs seems like it would be really loose!

Oh yeah, i took out the gaskets under the fuel rail, cleaned them and the holes, they looked in good shape. I lubed them with WD40, as i did to seat the new injectors. The new injectors WOULD NOT go in, so i helped them in by putting the two screw metal caps on to force them the rest of the way.

So now it's being towed (fire risk, if driven) to a local mech.

any ideas were i goofed?? thanks!!!

Reply to
jbowling

It should have leaked merely turning on the ignition, no engine running, puel pump operation only if you cracked/broke an injector wth excessive torque. Too Loose? That's what the o-rings are for. And I don't follow the injectors not seating without being forced down as you described unless one of the o-rings came off/askew and blocked the injector from seating. If that was the case the injector would leak only on running condition and it wouldn't run "fine" as you report.

I run a 91SE so not familiar on how the fuel rails route on a GXE. From where was the leak flowing? Might give a clue as to leaks origin. Let us know what the mechanic discovers.

AJF

Reply to
AJ Foyt

SO, What did the mechanic finf?

AJF

Reply to
AJFoyt

Ok, thanks for the response. I did everything OK.

One !#$@% injector (refurb) was stuck open, dumping gas, filling cylnder and exhaust/cat/muffler with GAS!! Called Directauto.com (NEVER USE THEM). took 6 days before their stupid "warranty " dept "overnighted" me a new one.

Now that's in, the mech has the whole thing together, and he says another injector is running way too much and fouling the plug. I HATE PYTHON INJECTORS.

On the phone now with python...

Reply to
jbowling

I'd be upset if that happed to me. My 93-SE has 3 injectors which require the intake plenum to be removed to access them. Front 3 are a breeze. This epidode would turn me into a mall sniper if I discovered I had to dig them out again because they leaked. Warranty offers little solice if the job's gotta be redone.

Reply to
AJFoyt

OK, python is NOT at fault apparently. It was the bottom rings on the injectors. I used gas just like the haynes manual and online forums said( the guy at python said grease). and they didnt seat properly. So if i used vaseline or grease 2 weeks ago, i'd be driving right now. MY FAULT. 400 dollar mistake. plus maybe a ruined catalytic convertor.

Reply to
jbowling

I did my own on my 93 maxima GXE. Replaced the fuel injector and forced to sit it with 2 screws of metal plate and exaclty same as above happenned and engine was shaking because of lower oO ring broken while installation and now car is at dealer to install new one and set the whole timing of fuel/ air again. costed $800.00. So it is my advise to every one when try to intall any part if it w'not sit or fit then do not not force it unless specified to do so for a particular part.

Reply to
93maxima

I feel that the injector and fuel rail design is an embarrassment to Nissan. It is really laughable how complex and prone to problems it is, at least compared to the simple systems of many other cars. I had to do the job on my 90 GXE, I saw the potential for disaster (which means a lot more work to correct), but luckily I had no leaks - vacuum or fuel.

-mike

Reply to
mike w

yep, i dont think that injector was going to go in even with grease. The old ones were soooo tight , i took the rail out and used a piece of wood pushing up from the bottom and clamps on either side to get them out. I could not lift them out with lock pliers. and i'm 230lbs , into weight lifting.

Reply to
jbowling

yep, i dont think that injector was going to go in even with grease. The old ones were soooo tight , i took the rail out and used a piece of wood pushing up from the bottom and clamps on either side to get them out. I could not lift them out with lock pliers. and i'm 230lbs , into weight lifting.

When i got her home, idling a little rough. so i hunted around and found a vacuum leak (AAC gasket) my idiot mech missed, and checked the ECU for codes. On the 92 the screw for ECU mode selection also controls idle adjustment. turned that all the way up--idles PERFECT.

So all in all, i wasted $350 getting my mistakes fixed, but now, she purrs like a kitten! Faster. more responsive, starts right up (even at

8 degrees in the morning, now)
Reply to
jbowling