Fuel Rail Leak

A few months ago, I replaced all the o-rings on the fuel injectors. When I did this, I oiled each o-ring, to get it well seated. Everything worked fine for a few months. All of the sudden, about 2 weeks ago, I started smelling gas after driving my XJ. After further investigation, I found that one of the injectors is leaking. It seems like it's coming from the upper o-ring (that goes into the rail). I pulled the rail off to check the o-rings. Everything looked fine, so I oiled them up a little, and put the rail back on - still leaks. The retainer clip at the top of the injector is tight, the injector seems well seated. I can't see how this could still leak. Any ideas? Could the injector itself be leaking?

Thanks in Advance John

Reply to
John Norman

I wouldn't drive it until it got fixed. If I remember correctly there have been alot of underhood Jeep fires from leaky rails. Sorry, I haven't done the job myself so I can't offer anymore advice. Nick

Reply to
Nick N

I was reading this article:

it says: "The brown o-rings go on the engine side of the injector and six of the black o-rings go on the rail side of the injectors" which implies that there is a difference in size. This may be my problem. I bought my o-ring set at an auto parts store and not at a dealer, so, they are not brown & black. I think that one half of them have a stripe on them though. Does anyone know what size goes up, and what size goes down? It seems like the manifold-side o-rings should be the bigger ones.

Thanks John

Reply to
John Norman

Last set I got was from Advanced Auto (about $6-$7) and it had all the same size and color - no differences at all that I could see. They have been in for at least 2 years with no leaks.

I've had 2 injector leaks (88 model, so that isn't bad) and both were leaking around the electrical connector. Pull the connector and if there is any wetness figure that you have a leak around the electrical seal. You should also be able to see the leak if you turn the key on to pressurize the rail - DON'T START IT! Pour a little water down where the gasoline would fall from a leaking injector and watch where it goes. It falls directly on the exhaust which not a real good place to have gas running...

Reply to
Will Honea

Thanks for the reply Will It turned out to be a bad injector. I first put new o-rings on it - same thing. Then it was off to the auto parts store, and $75 later, the problem was solved.

Have a great New Year

John

Reply to
John Norman

Hey!

I've never had to change o-rings for the injectors either, but keep this in mind: seals for use with fuel are NOT the same as seals meant for oil. Putting oil on the o-rings could actually cause them to become soft and deteriorate.

Get a new set of o-rings and use fuel to lubricate them when fitting them. Also, check that there's no dirt and gunk in the receptacle for the injectors. Sometimes, something microscopic can cause a leak.

-Oliver

97 TJ
Reply to
Oliver