Help!! 92 GXE no start

I couldn?t start my 92 GXE last week. Engine cranks but won?t start. I towed the car to shop. Acording to mechanic?s recommendation, I got all the fuel injectors replaced. But after that, still no start. Battery is good. Spark plugs and fuel filter are new. Fuel pumps out from the fuel filter when engine cranks. They find two problems, 1 the spark plug is not wet, 2. No power coming to the injectors. I read some posters here about similar problem, but no one came out with a solution. Anybody has any suggeston?

Reply to
boywing

Don't have a solution, but your mechanic screwed you over big time. It was unlikely you even needed one injector replaced. What was the bill? Somewhere north of $900?

This is where I'd start. You're not getting fuel to the injector, or more precisely, no fuel past the injectors into the chamber. And no power to the injector itself. They're probably related. The injectors may be stuck closed due to lack of power, thus no fuel, thus no wet plugs. It may just be a bad injector harness. Or a blown fuse/circuit breaker.

Get a manual (library probly has one - if not, they're cheap - $20) and trace the harness to it's power source and check if you have continuity on the harness. I'd also check the fuses and circuit breakers under the hood (don't know if that's where you'll find the injector circuitry - don't have my manual handy - but it's a good place to start).

One more suggestion. NEVER, EVER go back to that mechanic again. He was just fishing for a solution. Injectors just don't fail like that. They will give you a "Check Engine" light, and any respectable mechanic would know that. No way all 6 fail simultaneously without some other problem causing it (like a lightning strike or some other catastrophy). There are far cheaper things to try before an injector swap. He just had himself a nice payday, and still didn't fix your problem.

On bigger problems like this, if you can't fix it yourself, take it to a Nissan dealer. They will charge more per hour of labor, but they won't do unnecessary repairs. They have a vested interest in keeping a Nissan customer happy. A local mechanic could care less if he never sees you again. He's already made lots of money off of you.

Bill G '91 SE Auto

166K miles
Reply to
Bill G

Thank you, Bill. They got remanufactured injecotors for the car. So it costs me a little more than $400, labor + parts. They said #2 and 6 are bad. Others are fine but will follow soon. I am gonna sell the car after fixing, so I decide to change all the six to save labor and any possible arguement with the next owner. Now feel really bad to have been nice. Now they said they checked fuses and relays are all fine. They will trace the continuity of the injectors. I had bad experience with dealers. When my security system went out and blocked starting, they replaced my starter. It?s really funny to me if not the $400 bill. Seems all I need to do as a consumer is to pay whatever they say. Sigh!! Anyway, still happy to talk with you. I?ll post the result if they can find any. Thanks.

Reply to
boywing

Well, you got a great deal. I replaced all 6 of mine (did the labor myself) and with gaskets it was about $650 just in parts. But I plan on keeping this car until it collapses (hoping for 300k), so I went with Nissan OEM injectors.

I still doubt they were bad. Without a "Check Engine" light, and an ECU code, it's unlikely any of them were bad. You can't look at them and tell if they are good or bad.

Good idea on replacing all 6. Why are you selling? This car has its quirks, but will run forever.

Now that's a ripoff. Starters are cheap and extremely easy to replace on that car. But overall, I've found dealers to be far more honest than John Q. Mechanic.

Well, I got tired of paying people who had more experience than me, but no more ability, to fix my car. I've done every repair for 4-5 years now. If it's labor intensive (like the injectors or a water pump), I'll do it. And enjoy it. If it's not (like my exhause manifold/Y-pipe), I'll pay someone else to do it.

Cool. Always nice to know what happens. Someone else may learn from it down the road.

Good Luck.

Bill G '91 SE Auto

166K miles
Reply to