92 maxima: electrical/light problem

When the headlights are turned off, the dashboard lights come on when the brakes are applied. Brake lights still work though. However, when headlights are on, back taillights don't come on. When the brakes are applied, they work, but dashboard lights go out. I've not did any electrical work to the car recently. Replaced the stero about 5 months ago, but problem just started 2 days ago.

Any ideas on what would cause this problem?

Reply to
yonkers

On many Nissans of that vintage, the taillights are on the same fuse as the dash light dimmer circuit.

Replacing the stereo could be a clue. Did the new stereo have a connection for the dimmer wire? If not (usual with aftermarket stereos), was the bare tip of the wire taped off or is it just laying in there? All it takes is one touch of that loose wire to anything metal and the fuse blows, then no taillights and no dash lights.

Not sure what you are saying about the brake lights. When you push the brake pedal with the lights turned on, are you saying the dash lights stay off but the brake lights work? If so, that is consistent with the taillight/dash dimmer fuse being blown. If you are saying that when you press the brake pedal when the lights are turned off, the dash lighting cuts out momentarily with the depressing of the brake pedal, then you probably have a different problem.

Reply to
E. Meyer

Replacing the fuse did fix it, however the 10amp fuse keeps blowing, so something is shorting out. Guess I'll check all my grounds.

Reply to
yonkers