93 GXE drivebelt replacement

Hi,

93 GXE auto, 175k

Car is due for regular maintenance at 180k. Drivebelt was last replaced at 120k. Some folks say the drivebelt should be replaced every 60k, but I have heard others say they are now capable of lasting for 100k. Something about round tooth versus square tooth belt.

Belt I put on at 120k was Nissan part # 13208-85E86

What to do.

Al Moodie.

Reply to
Al Moodie

Given that belts are so cheap, why not just stick to the 60k intervals recommended for your car. 30 bucks for new belts vs. taking the chance of a belt breaking and being stranded... your choice.

Nirav

Reply to
njmodi

Most important is tightness. Pry open cover top, check visually for cracks and press/check belt midpoint. It should bend half inch with 20lb force. (Add/drill a hole in the cover on top of roller, allows later tightenin as the spring load creates ideal tightness.)

Square toothed belt on square toothed sprockets; some dealerships dont (!?) know this and their installed round belts on square teeth do whine as swine...

Once in five yrs is recommended, or 60k - it might last triple. But why should one test how far one gas tank will get u? Better fill too early than walk.

Reply to
Wiikinki

I would gladly pay the cost of the belt, it's the time and effort to install it that I would like to save.

Al Moodie.

Reply to
Al Moodie

I would gladly pay the cost of the belt, it's the time and effort to install it that I would like to save. Al Moodie. Belt is a 5yr 'nuisance'... but how about the current chain & guidesystems as/if they wear out after 150k? I think 'I love' the belt change.

Reply to
Wiikinki