93 GXE end of the line

Hi,

93 GXE auto 178k miles

The transmission on my car has just blown, no drive in any gears. It's at the age and stage that I don't think it is worth repairing:

1) Body damage to left rear quarter. Car park accident damage which I hammered out and it looks tolerable. 2) Steering fluid leak. My service shop says from the rack itself. $500 to replace 3) Engine needs a new injector. I just replaced one 3 weeks ago, perhaps I should have replaced all six. Otherwise engine is great. 4) Rust spots on the body on both sides at the rear lower corner of the rear doors

How do I get the best price for this car. Last time I took a car, an

88 Sentra, to the breakers yard all I got was $50.00

Anyone out there want this car for spares. I'm in the Washington DC metro area.

I hate to part with it , it's been and still is a great car. Any other ideas.

Al Moodie.

Reply to
Al Moodie

All no pun intended, but I think "parting it out" is the best way to get some decent money back on the car. It does however require more work on your part and add the hassles of shipping, finding buyers.

Try maxima.org - they have a 3rd Gen Maxima forum - and many active members. I'm sure you'll find someone interested in either the whole car or parts of it.

Time to get another Maxima! :)

Nirav

Reply to
njmodi

I propose we "merge" our respective cars and come up with one vehicle. I'm at the same stage you are (high miles, looking to replace), except my car runs great.

My transmission was rebuilt about 80K miles ago, but has been very well maintained since then, with fluid changes every 18-20K. It's solid. I replaced all 6 injectors about 50K miles ago, and the engine just purrs, the body has absolutely no rust, 3 of the 4 window reg units have been replaced, and 2 new half shafts. Plus I've got a strut tower brace. It does need some suspension work (bushings are going bad), the front calipers probably need to go, the AC works great, it just makes a heck of a lot of noise, and my steering rack also leaks a bit.

Too bad I live in northern Michigan, or we could have some fun with this ...

Good luck.

Bill G '91 SE Auto

182,000 miles
Reply to
Bill G

Hi Bill,

Our stories are very similar.

I had my torque converter replaced about 20K ago.

I've done 3 window regulators in the 5 years I've had the car.

The same 10K ago.

My brakes are fine

My AC is fine makes no noise, but climate control display is intermittent.

I've just spent the weekend looking at 2003 Maximas, SE and GLE at about $15-$18K, I liked the cars a lot. I want the SE for the suspension and extra power, my wife wants the GLE for the heated seats and power passenger seat, life is a compromise.

When we get a car perhaps I'll be able to put my toolkit away for a while, I'll probably miss the work, although my 93 GXE was becomming a handful.

Best wishes, Al Moodie.

Reply to
Al Moodie

Yep, that's the car I'm looking for too. Not an '02, but an '03 Max. I prefer the GLE because I keep reading that the SE's ride is a bit stiff.

Good luck with your search. I don't have any near me at all, so I'll be driving to the Detroit area or some other distant land to get the one I want.

Bill G

Reply to
Bill G

I have a 2000 SE,,nice car, which hopefully the warped rotor problem (fixed under warrantee,,,), and the poor service life 02 sensor problem (fixed out of my check book,,lol), will not recurr.

My input - get the GLE. why, it uses easy to find 16 inch tires. The low profile 17 inch tires on the SE are incredibly expensive to replace, and do ride very harshly. Also, the 17 inch tires reduce the cars turning radius to the point that you may feel like your are trying to park a semi truck sometimes.

Reply to
common_ sense

What was the symptom you got with the bad O2 Sensor??

Reply to
Chuck In Dallas

P139 check engine code, with check engine light on.

Common Maxima problem BTW.

Chuck >What was the symptom you got with the bad O2 Sensor??

Reply to
common_ sense

Yes I have read comments about "stiff suspension" on the SE, mostly on edmunds.com reviews. However as someone used to European cars, I'm originally from the UK, I'm used to stiffer suspension. I found the SE ride firm but I like that, whether I can get my wife to accept I don't know. She wants heated seats, which help with a back injury problem, so we are looking for an 03 SE with leather and sunroof, or a GLE. Apart from the suspension and interior styling on the SE I also like the compass and trip computer in the rear view mirror.

I'm in the DC Metro area so can choose from 50-60 cars in a 25 mile radius.

has produced the best search results.

Does anybody know if there is a fix for the "headlamp theft" problem, appart from moving to a gated community.

Al Moodie.

Reply to
Al Moodie

03 GXE has 16" 03 SE & GLE have 17"

I have read complaints about the turning circle on the SE & GLE but I hadn't realised it was caused by the 17" rims, I must check it out. Must also investigate cost of replacement tires for 17" rims.

Thanks, Al Moodie.

Reply to
Al Moodie

In 2000 only the SE came with the 225 17 inch tires. Interesting that they changed that. It might even be different in different markets.

Guess lots of folks could care less about tire cost, but sounds like you and I drive our cars until the hood ornaments fall off (actually on my last car,,the dash board fell out,,LOL).

I replaced the original, made out of concrete, Bridgstones at 25K, with Nitto 450s - about 160 each at discount tire. They were the cheapest 225 17s I could find anywhere - next price step up was over $250 a tire,,,,ouch. The Nittos are actually excellent tires, and vastly improved the ride quality. To tell you how bad the OEM Bridgstones where - when I got my car home from the dealer the first night they only had 20lbs of air in them - inflated to the full 32 to

36 psi they would literally make your kidneys bleed. With the Nittos no problem now at all. So when shopping, and comparing, be sure to bring a tire pressure gage. Why Nissan puts such crappy OEM tires on these cars is something only their marketing department can explain.

The turning radius issue is by no means a deal killer (you do get used to it,,), but my friends Nissan PU truck can get into parking spaces I can not, and whatever you do, never, never, attempt to make a U turn on a 2 lane road,,,LOL

Reply to
common_ sense

Amazing isn't it. Mine came with Toyo which lasted about 17000 miles. Michellins have lasted 55,000 each time. I have another set now my

2000 GLE is still running well.

My wife's 2000 Max came with Goodyears which lasted only 14000 miles. Michelins there, too, lasted about 55,000

Reply to
Chuck In Dallas

Thanks for the post...I thought it was only me,,,????

$27,000 list for a car,,and they can not put on decent tires,,,,,????

I mean,,screw the dam Bose Stereo,,put on some decent rubber,,,,!!!!

Reply to
common_ sense