93 maxima EGR valve

Hi,

93 Maxima, auto, 174k miles.

Engine has started to run rough at low revs, idle up to about 2500 rpm where it smooths out. From reading previous posts I suspect the EGR valve. Previous posts say that the port from the valve to the manifold should be cleaned.

Questions:

1) Is it the port on the EGR valve or EGR valve solenoid that should be cleaned, I am unclear. 2) Does the port I am supposed to clean run to the the inlet or the exhaust manifold, again I am unclear. 3) Do I have to remove the EGR valve 4) Is there a website somewhere that will show me the steps.

Al Moodie.

Reply to
Al Moodie

The EGR exhaust gas valve gets dirty (if any), EGRC hose end connections possibly brittled.

If EGR Temp sensor or connector bad, rpm is high with fans on.

Otherwise, your problem fits also to various intake/vacuumhose leaks, IACV cleanup need...

Some EGR info here

Wiikinki

Al, I'm not sure how the VG engine setup compares to the VQ in my 96, but I'm sure it's fundamentally the same.

The EGR valve has two seperate orifice tubes. One connects the valve to the exhaust manifold and one runs from the valve to a port on the intake manifold. On the VQs, the most common EGR problem was that the EGR port that the EGR guide tube from the valve connected to would clog up. The fix was to remove the tube and the intake manifold and clean both out with some type of solvent (carb cleaner, etc.). The valves rarely are the problem on the VQ. This is a time-consuming but "free" repair - I would recommend you try it first before replacing the valve.

Specific answers to your questions:

  1. Port is on the intake manifold
  2. See 1.
  3. No