'95 Maxima balljoint replacement

Can a balljoint on a '95 be replaced separately from the control arm? Haynes manual says it all one part and the balljoint MUST be replaced by replacing the whole control arm. However, my neighbourhood parts man was very happy to sell me a balljoint as a separate part stating it can be replaced.

I now have the balljoint detached from the knuckle and was able to remove the snap-ring but now I can't seem to get it out of the control arm. Is Haynes right? If so, what size is the large nut on the control arm control pin?

TIA, Chuck.

Reply to
Chuck

Randall Phair

I've even seen new ball joints welded onto the control arm after the old one was cut off; worked fine. Doubt that most shops would be willing to do this, however, due to potential liability for a crappy weld job.

Haynes may be talking about an earlier model than the '95. Seems that "new" models sometimes have one-piece ball joint/control arm assemblies, then later years they are separated into components. Had a Plymouth like that back in the '80's. (When I was still stupid & too poor to buy an import.)

JM

Reply to
JM

Just to follow-up with my original questions:

I had the worn balljoint pressed out of the control arm and new one pressed in. Significant savings over purchasing new control assembly. The bushing pin nut is 27mm.

Reply to
Chuck