Acceleration Problems / Terrible Gas Mileage!!! PLZ Help

Ok, here is the situation. I recently purchased an '00 maxima for a very good deal, has 200,000 KM no check engine light, clean inside and
out, beautiful Glacier Pearl paint job...
Symptoms of the unknown problem are: 1) 8 KM / L (roughly 19 MPG) 2) 0-60MPH in 9 Secs. (Way below the average 7.5 secs. that I see others get) 3) Between 2500 and 3500 RPM I feel a drag when flooring it. (Like something is holding the car back)
I recently got a highmileage oil change. Did a 4 step emissions cleaning (which includes seafoaming), did not help at all.
Is this a MAF issue?? I've been reading that airflow and dirty sensors are the culprit of most gas mileage and acceleration problems, but others with the same problem did not notice a change. I took a look at my MAF and it looked clean to me.
What else could I do to diagnose the problem? I would really appreciate any suggestions or advice.
Thanks!!!!!!!
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
On May 9, 1:35 pm, snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

It's either your O2 sensors or the knock sensor. Change the 02's first and see what happens. Change only the 02 sensors in the exhaust manifold, there should be 2, 1 for each cylinder bank, not the other ones.
CD
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
On May 9, 12:35 pm, snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

Agree, symptoms say it's an 02 or knock sensor. When my knock sensor went bad, acceleration was in 10-11 second territory. 19 mpg not really bad, though, just not that great.
Or maybe you have a spouse or g.f. putting in regular unleaded, instead of premium !
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
Hi, Knock sensor..most likely...my mileage improved dramatically when I changed mine, 19 MPG to 28 MPG......but I have ALLOT more miles on mine...... O2 sensor will throw a code and you will get a check engine lamp, knock sensor will NOT throw a code, so I suspect your knock sensor before an O2 sensor...there was a guy selling Nissan branded (new in the nissan parts box) knock sensors on ebay a while back, don't know if they are still listed.... that is where I got mine for about 1/2 the cost of the Stealers (dealers) price Good luck, 2Maximas
wrote:

Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

19 to 18 mpg is normal in town,,,with maybe 26 at a constant 60 mph
You got 28,,,doing what,,falling off a cliff,,????
not possible,,,
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
wrote:

.......... many, many lines deleted.

I have a 2000 Nissan Maxima SE, automatic transmission, sunroof, with 130,000 miles.
Just finished a 4894 mile, 2 week trip. from MN to Washington, DC, to Virginia to Florida to Mississippi to Arkansas to MN. This included lots of road miles, but also included a lot of city driving as I drove around the many cities I was going thru.
My average gas mileage was - 28.16 mpg. I always used High Octane gas.
Speed was about 5-7 miles over posted speed limit, sometime more at night. I used cruise control a lot, and had the A/C on. With 2 people in car, back seat half full, trunk completely full ( included cooler with drinks, ice, snacks, etc ).
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

Exactly. 28 mpg is entriely do-able in the 3.0. Maybe he's confusing the 2002 and later Maximas which have the 3.5.
CD
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

I have a 2000 Infiniti I30 with the same 3.0 and 96,000 miles; I get 21-22 mpg in town and 27-28 on the highway, pretty consistently. (Worst tank ever was 18.5, during a period highlighted by two ice storms.)
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

just about the same as I get with my 2000 max SE,,
28 "average" though is not possible.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

at a constant 55mph under ideal conditions yes,,
but as an "average", for a car with an EPA rating of 19 city/27 highway - not possible.
Sounds like Bob must have missed figuring in a fill up or two during his trip.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
On May 20, 10:34 pm, common_ snipped-for-privacy@netscape.com wrote:

Actually, under those conditions, in my 98 Max SE 5 speed, I got 33 MPG. I will *never* achieve that again, of course. It was just a test to see how well I could do. I was driving like a granny for the entire tankful. No AC, windows open, 55 mph almost constantly or down to 40 mph. Always in 5th gear.
It helped that the scenery and weather was beautiful at the time while driving along so leisurely.
CD
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
wrote:

Please - give me a break. I did not miss figuring a fill up or two..
Just because your expierence is different- that DOES NOT mean that mine has to be the same as yours
If you are so sure that you are correct - how much $$ would you like to back that up with ????
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

did you include that last refil,,?
The car has an epa (ideal conditons) rating of 19 city, 27 highway - you claim that in mixed driving with 500 lbs on board, that you beat that,????
Simple physics/logic says no you did not,,,
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
wrote:

Are you really for real ???? and are you that ill informed ???
Why dont you put some money where your statements are ????? and why didn't you answer my very simple question which I will repeat here for you - how much $$ would you like to back your statements with ??
.And since you try to appear to be so smart --- since when did epa =ideal conditions ????
and why do you have such a hard time accepting truth ????
and yes, I did include that last fill up....
I dont know you from adam and yet you seem to insist that I am lying or trying to shade the issue ..
and as for your comment -- > Simple physics/logic says no you did not,,,
if you are claiming simple physics/logic - state it -- dont waffle around it. State IT !!!! Prove your simple physics / logic argument -
Oh and by the way - trying using a Valid repy to address - I have tried to send you email and it bounced with invald email address... So what are you trying to hide ??????????????
Now - how about you answering all the questions ??? or go back to your little sandbox ....
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
On May 23, 8:26 pm, common_ snipped-for-privacy@netscape.com wrote:

I didn't realize that EPA was a science . . . . . . . . Didn't the EPA recently revise their mileage estimating scheme such that if they tested the same car today that it tested a couple of years ago that car would get worse mileage?
And doesn't the EPA always end its mileage estimates by saying "your mileage may vary?"
Let it go, man. Let it go.
CD
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
wrote:

I don't know if the EPA revised their scheme or not.. I don't really care if the EPA did or did not. I know what mileage my vehicles get. That is what is revelant to me... mpg, and $$ cost per mile.
From your own statement in this posting ---

and yet from another posting - you had stated --

DO YOU NOT SEE YOUR OWN CONTRADICTION IN WHAT YOU POST ?????????? OR are you such that type of person that only what you say matters regardless of validity ???????
Yet - you refuse to accept that someone may get better mpg than "posted" by the epa and you have to "suggest" that I missed a couple of fill up or two, or the last fill up...
However, you appear to not have the necessary equipment to back up what you post ... and you refuse to answer simple questions posted to you.. and now you want to slink away....
Again my questions to you -- 1. How much $$ do you want to put up to back up your statements ?? 2. Why don't you use a valid - reply to- email address in your posting ???
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

So now we're totally off - topic.
I've gotten 26 and 31 mpg under the same conditions with an I30t 3.0L -- except when you check whether you had a nice tailwind or a headwind. That can make a big difference and be unnoticed as you go down the highway. It IS possible to get into the 30's range with a steady cruise at 65-75 mph. But doing it consistently? No, more like 27.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
will be ripping on you that 31 mpg is not possible and he most likely will use the epa rating again.
NEXT: interesting - you say 26 and 31 --- and then you pick 27... which is 1 up from the low side and 4 down from high side.
27 vs 28 --- 1 mpg difference.... is that such a stretch that you belive it can not happen??????
What I find so very interesting is that the ones who posted that my mileage is impossible ( and therefore I am lying ) and that the best mpg is only 21 to 27 mpg have not posed any facts ( ie - their own mileage records with date, miles, gals, etc ) NOR have they requested any.
I check my mpg each fill up. I check my tires weekly, oil weekly, change air filter regularly, and keep current on whatever maintenance is needed. I try to take very good care of my vehicles...
So, all you self proclaimed experts, you just go on in believing you know it all and that the world revolves around you. Just keep playing in your own little sandbox......
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

so,,ranting Bob..
on a weekly basis - what mileage do you get?
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
I did say, "more like" 27. That doesn't mean I doubt your claim of 28. At all.
Cars are like people -- some make more hp. Some better mpg. Some more stable. Some less.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

Motorsforum.com is a website by car enthusiasts for car enthusiasts. It is not affiliated with any of the car or spare part manufacturers or car dealers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.