Accessing steering rack adjustment bolt

I have a 97 SE with a very freely moving steering rack. Apparently there should be an amount of friction in its movement, and according to TSB

00-037B, adjusting a nut on the rack can restore that friction. Dealer quoted $200 for the work, including a realignment - ouch. I just had a complete alignment done 2 weeks ago. I looked at the rack and found the nut faces the crossmember toward the driver's feet. I see barely enough clearance to slip a thin open-ended wrench onto the adjuster nut, much less enough room to access the little locknut nested inside the end of the adjuster nut. Can the rack be freed a little bit without popping any of the linkage? Or, if I do pop the tie rod ends, can I avoid the realignment? Do I have a prayer of doing this on my own?

Dave

Reply to
David Geesaman