Help needed on Corrado steering rack

I got my old rack out and the new rack is in, but I can not for the life of me get the steering column to slide down on to the steering rack. The splines seem to be lined up correctly, but the darned thing just sets on top of the rack without popping down. Is there some trick to getting the joint to pop on to the rack? I've tried from underneath and from the top trying to jiggle the column enough for it to slide on - to no avail. I've already bolted the subframe back up - should I have connected it up while the subframe was dropped?

Car is a 1990 Corrado G60

Any tips or advice would be appreciated - even if it is "just keep on jiggling" to let me know I am on the right (but tough) track.

Eric

** Posted from
**
Reply to
Eric Mattle

Did the steering rod come apart? There are usually 2 parts to the rod and sometimes when working on the steering column or rack the pieces just pop out. I believe they are designed to do that in a crash so it is normal. ;-) Examine the bottom of the steering rod under the dash to make sure that the

2 metal prongs did not pop out of their positioning holes which would not allow the clamp to fit down on the rack.

let us know!

Reply to
dave AKA vwdoc1

Thanks for the reply, however everything looks ok under the dash. It still is reluctant to drop down on the rack. I'm going to loosen the rack so I can move it around, but that will have to wait until tomorrow night. Still accepting any other ideas.

Eric

dave AKA vwdoc1 wrote:

** Posted from
**