1991 Maxima Wipers Broken ? Help !

The wipers on my 1991 Maxima broke (during a heavy rain storm of course). The arms came to an abrupt halt ? but I can hear the wiper motor still runs (thumping sound). The wiper arms are no longer connected to the wiper motor, they can be moved freely. The wiper arms are still tied together internally (if you move one, the other moves).

I figured it was either; 1) the plastic cup that couples to the linkage are to the wiper motor, or 2) the linkage arm from the wiper motor broke. I pulled the wiper motor this morning ? the joint between the linkage and the wiper motor was intact. I separated the joint and I can tell that the actual linkage arm that connects the wiper motor to the linkage has either broken or has become disconnected. I cannot get the arm out though the hole for the wiper motor.

How do I get access to the wiper linkage ? I have the Nissan service manual ? there is no diagram. Do I need to rent a plasma cutter to remove a portion of the firewall. Perhaps I have to remove the entire dash board and instrument cluster to get access through the inside of the car. It almost looks like the wiper linkage can?t be serviced. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks, Moses

Reply to
Moses