AWD Sedan - What to get

I'm seriously looking to replace my '91 SE (too many miles), but I now live in Snow Country, and really need AWD to get around. I'm not keen on a full-sized SUV, but would consider a mini-SUV, but really prefer a car or wagon with AWD. Does Nissan have any plans for an AWD automobile in the future?

Cars I've looked at:

Audi - Too expensive, too many repairs.

BMW - Too expensive, but I'd love an '06 530ix. A 325 or 330ix wouldn't be too bad, but again, relatively pricey.

Ford - Like the Escape, but have heard several horror stories about them (blown motors at 40K, multiple wheel bearing replacements before 50K). Also like the 500, and the Freestyle, but both are underpowered, and I'm fearful of their potential longevity.

Honda - Like the CRV, but want a 6-cylinder. Won't buy a Passport.

Hyundai - Junk.

Kia - Junk.

Mazda - Subaru sized. They seem to be built for short people.

Mercedes - Love the German cars, but again, too expensive.

Nissan - They just don't have a car that fits what I want. The SUV's are too big, the Murano is not practical (or attractive), and none of the cars have AWD.

Subaru - Love the AWD, love the engines, but I'm not short, so their cars don't fit. Not near enough legroom, and I'm only 6'1". Have not driven the new B9 Tribeca, but it's 30K+, and I'm in grad school.

Toyota - Like the RAV4, but want a 6. Also, insurance is quite high on this car. Also like the Matrix, but it's got an even smaller 4 than the RAV4. The Highlander doesn't get very good reviews. The Pontiac Vibe is the same as a Matrix, but somehow has a worse repair record (typical for a Japanese/US car sharing deal - see Mercury Villager/Nissan Quest).

Volkswagon - A 4-motion Jetta or Passat would be nice, but they don't have a real solid repair history.

Volvo - Too pricey.

All other American cars - No chance. Wouldn't buy a GM product ever, and Chrysler doesn't have anything I like. I'm only remotely considering a Ford, but my Dad has 2, and they are both junk.

It's basically come down to: 1. Honda CRV, 2. Toyota RAV4, 3. Ford Escape or a BMW 3-Series ix.

Any insights/suggestions/ideas are welcome.

Thanks,

Bill G '91 SE Auto

Reply to
Bill G

"Bill G" wrote in news:Q2bPe.11703$ snipped-for-privacy@fe02.lga:

The Murano has an option for AWD. Nissan has 2 AWD sedans but they're only sold under the Infiniti badge, G35X and M35X. The latter will set you back around $44,000 USD. The FX45 also has AWD but is almost $50,000.

Reply to
Dave Stone

Dave Stone wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@corp.supernews.com:

I read your whole post..scratch the first sentence in my reply.

Reply to
Dave Stone

I too have been looking and came to the exact same conclusions. I'm thinking the CR-V as it has the most legroom and highest resale. Why do they make Mazda and Subaru's for the height challenged?

Reply to
JimV

Make sure you've tried a Forester. I'm surprised you don't fit a Subaru. You must be all legs! lol!

(I've owned 3 Nissans and a Soob - second Soob is on order. Both great vehicle makes. I'm 5' 11" and there's a LOT of rail left on the seat adjustment.)

Carl

Bill G wrote:

Reply to
Carl 1 Lucky Texan

Actually, I have fairly short legs for being 6'1". I've put the seat all the way back, and don't have enough legroom either length-wise or width-wise (feel very cramped). Also, with a sunroof (a necessity), there is not enough headroom without lounging in the seat. In every German car I've driven, there is more than enough legroom and headroom, sometimes with extra to spare. I couldn't put the seat all the way back in my old Audi and still reach the pedals.

I'd buy a Sube in a heartbeat if I could just feel comfortable in one.

Oh yeah, I've driven the Forester, but the seating position is far too upright. I feel like I'm sitting on a bench or driving my old Jeep CJ5.

Bill G

Reply to
Bill G

You may consider Lexus RX330 with AWD. It is high on long term reliability, very comfortable. Other than the engine likes to downshift during a quick acceleration, everything else match or beat the Maxima feeling I have had for long time.

RS

Reply to
<rsha0

Thanks for the input, but try reading my post next time. A 2004 RX330 with around 30,000 miles is still close to $30,000. If you had read my post, you'd see that I'm in grad school, and if I had $30K I wouldn't be posting this message.

Thanks for playing.

Bill G

Reply to
Bill G