Brake and Battery Lights keep flickering

Hi, I have a 2000 Maxima, and recently, the brake and battery lights on the instrument panel began flickering. Both come on and flicker at the same rate -- it's always both of them together. I brought the car in to my mechanic, and he checked the alternator, the battery, and the brakes, and all is in order. If anyone has any ideas as to what might be causing this problem, I would appreciate hearing from you. Thanks, Alan

Reply to
Alan

Your alternator is likely failing, but check your belt first. The brake light flashes because the ABS controller detects a voltage out of range.

Reply to
JimV

When this has happened to me the belt was loose and also the brushes in the alternator were worn. rtt

Reply to
Richard Tomkins

Thanks, Richard....I'll take a look at the belt. AZ

Reply to
Alan

My wife's Maxima did that too, and shortly thereafter the batt and brake lite stays on. I checked the voltage at the battery, and it was about 12V instead of the normal 14V. I got a Duralast alternator from Autozone for

219.95 and install it myself. That cured the problem. The back long bolt was a PITA to get to though.
Reply to
cmdrdata