Check engine codes 0171 & 0174

I just had my codes read at AutoZone for free thanks to this news group and it came up P0171 & P0174 Which is system too lean (bank 1 & 2 ). Any ideas where to go from here. He suggested water remover and octane booster. Any help would be appreciated . Thanks Ivan

Reply to
ivan

The downside of taking it to AutoZone is the person pulling the code usually doesn't have a clue. :-). The three most common causes are dirty injectors, an intake air leak, or a failing mass airflow sensor (MAF). Start with a good fuel system cleaner like BG-44K. A can will run you around $20 but it's worth it even if it doesn't fix that particular problem. But since you're getting that code on both banks, my guess it's either an air leak or your MAF is acting up.

Reply to
Dan

I just did some online parts checking for MAF sensors and came up empty at least for my car which is a 2000 Gle. Never did say in my last post. I will try to find the fuel system cleaner you recommend. Would a Hayes(sp) manual give info on this and how to trouble shoot this problem .

Thanks Ivan

Reply to
ivan

LOL! Yea that's going to fix it! :-)

Reply to
Steve T

I believe there are no aftermarket MAFs so you'll have to purchase OEM. Go to the Maxima.org forums (forums.maxima.org) and look at the parts list thread under the 5th Generation forum. Scroll down until you see David Burnette's information. If you decide to replace the MAF sensor, he'll sell you one for an excellent price. Just mention where you heard about him. You can purchase BG 44K at most car dealerships, but you'll pay thru the nose. You best bet may be to buy it on line. They Hayne's manual is OK, but the one that covers the 2000 Maxima actually only contains some 2000 Max information. It's really just the 4th Gen manual (thru 1999) with some additional information added about the

2000. It's better than nothing though....
Reply to
Dan

any more guesses ??

Reply to
NissTech

Someone on this NG had this same problem before (2000 Maxima), here's what they posted. Do a search for "P0171 maxima" with this link :

dave stone

At least people tried to help instead of " any more guesses " Even the guy from AutoZone at least tried to help. His ideas might not help but are inexpensive and will not hurt. Thanks to the people that did try to help. Ivan

Reply to
ivan

Sure.

Of course any e-mail address you send to a newsgroup gets attacked by MS worms.. The one I use here fills up in about 20 minutes with "security updates". I figured the one you used isn't real either.

Try snipped-for-privacy@atlantaracing.com but take out the please.

Reply to
Steve T

Hey Steve T,

If you want to know what is really wrong with this car let me know, I'll pass it on to a fellow Technician but not this guy.

Reply to
NissTech

Pretty thin skin. The truth is You could only give a guess as to what is wrong and not know what is really wrong. Again why did you ever enter this thread if not to help. Are you the newsgroup troll. Steve also seems like someone who likes to show how smart he is by comments like " LOL! Yea that's going to fix it! :-) " with no idea what is wrong and that is what you call a fellow technician. Good Luck

Reply to
ivan

What I was laughing at was going to autozone with a modern car expecting some moron at the parts counter to know what is wrong. Here's a clue, he's making about $8 a hour, a good tech makes 30+ an hour. If he knew how to fix cars why would he be working at autozone?

What was really funny was that idiot suggesting water remover and octane booster. Maybe you just need to take it to someone who has a clue before

-you- screw the car up being cheap?

I could guess at the cause but would that really help you? Could be a MAS or an O2 sensor, then again could be other things as well. My sugestion is to take it to someone who knows what they are doing.

Reply to
Steve T

I had The same Problem!!! Replace MAF sensor. Nissan claims that if you do not use Nissan air filters sensor will go bad. Cost was 150.00 for sensor and air filter. By the way Nissan claims that the reg. price for sensor is Approx. $400.00 but has discounted price for some unknown reason. Good luck

Reply to
salrbx