99 Windstar-0171-0174 code-lean condition

I've had the check engine light come on in my wife's 99 Windstar. Codes comes up as lean condition Bank 1 and Bank 2 (0171 & 0174) Any ideas on what could be causing this? Engine runs perfect, no problems besides check engine light. Thanks

Reply to
sanpablo

| I've had the check engine light come on in my |wife's 99 Windstar. Codes comes up as lean condition |Bank 1 and Bank 2 (0171 & 0174) | Any ideas on what could be causing this? Engine |runs perfect, no problems besides check engine light. |Thanks

from google: ==============================================

check for unmetered air leaking into your engine. Air that gets in that is not measured by the MAF is not "known" to the PCM which will not add enough fuel for the extra air. This causes the "lean" condition.

Most likely cause of this "extra air" is a vacuum leak. Look/listen for loose, disconnected or cracked vacuum lines. Also look for any other hoses/connections that may have come off.

Lg

Reply to
Lawrence Glickman

=========================== Have you ever put a fuel filter on this van?

Reply to
Scott M

See below for site with lots of info on Upper Intake vacuum leaks, and TSB info on it:

J_E_Beck

=========================== Have you ever put a fuel filter on this van?

Reply to
No One