Check Engine + exhaust problems

Hi, I have a 2002 GLE with 87k miles. A week ago, I noticed that the car sounded louder. 2 days ago, my check engine light came on, and just today, it definitely feels like my mid-pipe has a hole in it, coz it is loud as hell. While I'm waiting to get these things checked up, I read a post about how these could be related.

The above post talks something about the leaking exhaust blowing my 02 sensor. Does this make sense, to any of you mechanics out there? Can I get aftermarket parts for the 02 sensor?

Reply to
Beano

After taking it to Meineke, I was told that the muffler completely rotted out right past the flange. Rear exhaust assembly (muffler) parts

  • install ranged from 0 - 0. Apparently, this is a common problem with late model Maximas in the New England area (where snow + road salt can wipe out an undercarriage), but I would not expect rotting on a 3 year old car.

Anyways, I took it to a custom exhaust shop, that saved me a ton of money, by just welding in a new pipe at the rotted junction.

About the check engine light, the codes were P0455 (EVAP Emissions leak (large)) and P1448 (Manufacturer specific). I reset the lights, will let you know if it comes back on. Anyone know what P1448 stands for?

Reply to
Beano

P1448 either means "Evap Canister Vent Control Valve" or "Vacuum Cut Valve", based on my search online. And, yes, the CEL has come back on, I'm waiting to get a diagnostic reader to deal with this. I guess, I have to take care of this soon, since my state inspection is due in 2 months..

Reply to
Beano