Help Me - aftermarket Radio/CD player install

Hi,

I just installed an aftermarket AM/FM/CD player in a 93 max GXE. This was a non-Bose system.

The new unit works, but there is now a constant hissing coming from the rear speakers. The hissing only goes away when the volume is turned right to zero or the unit is turned off....as soon as you put the volume above zero, the hissing starts. The hissing doesn't get any loader as you continue to increase the volume. Also, the sound volume from the rear speakers is much, much greater than from the front speakers. I used a harness adapter kit from best buy to do the install, so I'm pretty sure there is no problem with the wiring. When I popped the trunk, I noticed that there is a Clarion amp back there by the left rear speaker. I am guessing that maybe I need to bypass this amp, so that the speaker wires from the radio go straight to the rear speakers. To do that I would need to disconnect the harness and splice the speaker wires from that harness directly to the rear speakers. Does anyone know which wires from this harness are for the left and right speakers? Or is there any way for me to test each wire without the risk of doing any damage to anything?

Thanks for any help you can provide!

Reply to
David Blair

OK, got it figured out. The aftermarket cd/radio unit had 2 rca jacks on it (marked left and right) which are for externally amplified rear speakers. I connected those rca jacks to the rear speaker wires on the best buy harness (instead of the rear speaker out wires on the aftermarket head unit's harness) and its all good now.

Thanks, David

Reply to
David Blair