EGR Valve

The check engine light came on and the code advise a problem with my EGR valve. I replaced the valve, but the check engine light won't reset. Any ideas

Reply to
jf3288

What code did you get?

How are you resetting the light?

Most likely you wasted your money on a new valve, when all that was really needed was a cleaning of the EGR passages and EGR port on the plenum.

Nirav

Reply to
njmodi

The code was given to me from autozone staff. I tried to reset it by removing both battery cables and touching them together.

Reply to
jf3288

  1. ok - so what was the code they gave you?
  2. I hope you are joking about the battery cables.

Nirav

Reply to
njmodi

That was a waste of time and money. The valves never go bad. You need to clean the passage in the inatke manifold.

At least the "diagnosis" was free and was worth exactly what you paid for it..

Reply to
Steve T

... to reset it by removing both battery cables and touching them together. Depending on source one reads, ½-24hrs batt cable off = ECU reset. My experience is ½hr is enough.

When batt cables are out:

- theres no pwr supply as batt is disconnected

- no benefit/harm positive cable touching gnd - any de-energized entity

- smaller entitities like electronic boards may be zapped if static discharge is created/released via clothing etc

- be careful as the thick wires may want to bend back &connect

Reply to
Wiikinki

OBDII doesn't work this way.

Reply to
Steve T

Computer mem chips do.

OBDI -or- OBDII is just the name for the operatin system - supported by hw.

Whatever, all maxima ECU's will zero registers (as most computers) when pwr is out, FSM tells also about this. On some systems this epends on 'backup pwr =condenser discharge time, how long time that is - after batt cable disconnect. Also the used memory chip type = hw structure defines this, not sw or general definitions like OBD.

Reply to
Wiikinki

BS misinformation..

Reply to
Steve T

Steve T wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@individual.net:

Can you clean the EGR by just squirting carb cleaner into the inlets, or do you have to remove the EGR? Is carb cleaner the appropriate solvent?

TIA. RJ

Reply to
rj

It's normally not the valve but the tube and the passage in the intake manifold that becomes clogged.

Reply to
Steve T