96 Maxima towed with parking brakes on

My Maxima was towed for about 700 miles and all this time the parking brakes were engaged. It was being towed on a dolly with the front wheels off the ground; the rear wheels were rolling. Did I do any damage (I am guessing the parking brakes are in the rear???) The car parking brakes engage just fine with no issues whatsoever. No issues with driving either. Please can anybody tell me if the parking brakes engage the rear or the front wheels?

Thanks so much!

Reply to
vyworld

  1. Rear wheels
  2. I would expect your rear pads to be shot from overheating, as well as the rotors.
  3. I'm not sure what that sort of heat would do to the caliper seals in the long-term. I would recommend you at a minimum replace the pads and rotors and if you're conservative, perhaps even the calipers.

I'm not trying to alarm you, but I would hate to have the brakes fail unexpectedly.

Cheers, Nirav

Reply to
njmodi

... towed for about 700 miles and all this time the parking brakes were engaged ......parking brakes engage just fine ...

- was the hb handle really pulled tight in the first place? ...rear bearing(s) would now be fried if...

Reply to
Wiikinki

would now be fried if...

Yep, the hand brake was engaged pretty ok. Is this going to affect my normal braking as well? or just the ability to apply the parking brake?

thanks all for the inputs. I am going to get the pads and everything checked out.

Reply to
Homer

bearing(s) would now be fried if...

The parking brakes uses the same pads and rotor as the rear brakes.

Reply to
JimV

...Is this going to affect my normal braking as well? or just the ability to apply the parking brake?

thanks all for the inputs. I am going to get the pads and everything checked out. Rear brakes (if missing) will be 'known' in emergency, and that surprise in wet/slippery conditions might cause a leftist spin into ditch. Leisure cruising barely ever activate rear brakes, one doesnt know even if they have dropped off...

I dont know if/how those wheelbearings have survived the baking, but miracles do happen. Maybe the maxima wheel assy structure is good enough(?) to conduct the heat out... but as already noted, pads must be glassy, possibly also rotor = non existent friction. The rotors also sometimes warp when vehicle is stopped with redhot rotors while brake has not been released (your situation).

Reply to
Wiikinki