Exhaust replacement DIY?

Hi,

My 1996 Max's exhaust system is currently held together by a few cable ties due to the various hangears having rusted out. Actually the whole system after the catalytic converter looks badly rusted. Anyhow the car runs well and I was thinking of purchasing an after market 'cat back' system and installing it myself. Has anyone done this themself and what are the potential issues. Also, which system did you choose?

Chris...

Reply to
veefer

Chris: I have a 1984 Maxima, which I purchased used in 1991. I have replaced portions of the exhaust system myself. When I checked the catalytic converter (1995) it was, and still is in good condition. After 21 years there is some rust on the exhaust pipe from the catalytic converter back, appears concentrated on the welded seam, but is still sound. The only problem with the exhaust system has been from the pipe traversing the rear suspension to the tailpipe. I replaced these components for the second time in September of this year. Weber remains one of the few suppliers of components for the '84 Maxima. I prefer not to switch to a stainless steel exhaust system, as this would just increase corrosion on the rest of the car, by increasing the anode to cathode ratio.

Fitment is always an issue when purchasing aftermarket parts, domestic tubing sizes are close to OEM but there are always production tolerances. Be prepared to be have to modify the new parts to fit. Proper cleaning of existing joints is essential in doing the job correctly - something most muffler shops avoid by replacing the whole system - that way no time is spent cleaning old parts -> time == money. Bandages for skinned knuckles, and a blue language filter for the mouth (essential if the kids are around while you're working on it). Be prepared to spend some time doing the work right, because you aren't going to be able to do it in 20 minutes like a muffler shop. Best of luck

-bob

Reply to
gen1

[...]

Thanks for the advice. I didn't consider the stainless vs aluminized for corrosion as the original exhaust system was stainless and lasted this long. I did inquire what the cost would be to have a local shop MIDAS perform the work, and they mentioned around $100 if they don't encounter difficulties with the new or old systems.

Winter is setting in and its getting cold in home garage so I'm considering having a shop install it.

Chris...

Reply to
veefer