From Maxima to SUV

Hi,

My lady is suggesting that we move to a bigger car given our growing family, and I am inclined to get a new 2005/2006 SUV with capacity for

6-7 passangers (for around $30K).

Now here is the trick part. I financed my 2002SE (with 32K miles) last year for about $17.5K, paying about $360 per month. So far, I have paid only about $3k (this interest is a killer), and left with 14K to pay.

Now, we are considering trading it in. How will it work out. The car currently has about $61K miles. (those highway miles are a killer - 30k in one year?). I checked at Edmunds.com and the dealer trade in value will be about $10k. Assuming they find nothing wrong with it to reduce the value further, it would mean at the end, i will still owe the bank about $4K. This will be added to my new financial arrangement right?

Under what conditions will this make financial sense, particularly given its mileage and the fact that it is already out of warranty?

And if we migrate to SUV, what model will you suggest to give similar performance and reliability as the Max.

cheeers, MN

Reply to
Noela

You're a brave man to buy a large SUV given the instability of gas prices for the forseeable future. Expecially if you're going to drive it

30K miles/yr.
Reply to
JimV

You have a tough road to hoe with that amount owed. I would try quickly selling it myself. The quicker the better and pay off the Maxima. Then find the SUV you want and make them give you a real good price. As SUVs are really not in high demand in the days of high priced fuel.

Reply to
WhiteRose

A vasectomy about 10 years ago would have been better.

Reply to
Justin Sane

u crack me up Dude...really laffing my ass off! hahahaha

Reply to
beerman

Right, and probably at a higher interest rate.

There is no condition that makes any sense here, unless you own stock in the finance company.

There is no SUV that will give similar performance and reliability as a Maxima. You're asking for a truck to drive like a sports car.

Reply to
E Meyer

"Noela" wrote in news:1135975449.866322.56750 @g47g2000cwa.googlegroups.com:

If it was me, I'd get a new 4Runner. IMHO it's the only Toyota vehicle that's worth the asking price. For one, they're made in Japan and they have great build quality. I have no idea how many it seats but that should be easy to find out. It's quite a large SUV but not a behemoth like the Toyota Sequoia or Nissan Armada.

On a new 4Runner, you'd have to get RWD only with the V6 engine if you wanted it for $30k. Because either the 4x4 or the V8 will put it right there or around $31-32. Plus Toyota likes to include option packages at the regional level that you might not even want.

The 4x2 4Runner w/ V6 is EPA rated at 18/22 mpg, and surprisingly the V6 is able to get it around rather quickly and fairly close to those mileage estimates. But probably not quite at Maxima speeds. For that kind of power on a 4,000-lb SUV you're really looking at $40-45k and (regrettably) around 15 mpg.

Reply to
Dave Stone

You could probably get a great deal on a Yukon XL with a big engine.

Reply to
TWW