Go Figure 95 Maxima SE

Had my altenator rebuilt about 4 mths ago. Then 2 mths after that, I broked down.......lights went, radio went, no heater, no nothing.......put my booster pack on and managed to make it home. I then returned the car to the garage who repaired the altenator, he indicated the alternator was fine, but rather there was a wiring issue coming from altenator. (I didn't believe him to be honest, bec it was under warranty, and he just wanted more money out of me) Anyways, he did what was neccessary, and the car has been doing great since. However, the past couple of weeks I have been noticing this, the instrumental cluster lights will go dim/bright then dim/bright........the if in fourth gear and kinda kick the car in, the instrumental cluster lights would dim, and the heater would cut down (just like being on level 1 instead of 4, even though the heater is on 4).

So I'm thinking I still have a charging/altenator issue?

any ideas?

Reply to
Devils Advocate

Get a voltmeter. Measure the voltage at the battery connection. You should see 12 volts or so with the car off and 14.2 with the car on. If you dont see 14.2 you should see at least 13. The voltage with the car on has to be greater than with the car off so that the alternator can charge the battery. If the voltage is lower then replace the alternator.

CD

Reply to
codifus

You would have to think it was either the alternator or the battery. How old is the battery, 3-4 years is about the maximum lifespan. Get it "load tested" at Autozone, Pep Boys or similar shop.

If the battery is OK then I would have to suspect your rebuilt alternator. Faulty diodes?

Al Moodie.

Reply to
Al Moodie