Weird Problem with 2000 Maxima SE 5spd

A bit baffled by this. The car has 98,000 miles on it, and haven't really had any problems. This morning on the interstate at approximately 70 - 75 mph my ABS light came on, shortly after that my air bag light started flashing, next the radio shut off, then the dash clock, auto climate control, and finally the gauges all went dead .This all took place over probably 3 - 5 minutes, and I had been driving on the interstate for probably 15 minutes. The car was still running just fine, no loss of power, hesitation or unusual sounds or smells. Several miles later I started noticing drops in torque, not stuttering, just like I had lightly/slowly applied the brakes. After this happened I pulled to the shoulder, and as I was slowing down, all of the electrical started coming back to life. By the time I was stopped everything was back on and fine. I shook my head and took off again, while accelerating in 4th (probably only to about 4K rpm) ready to shift to 5, I notice the clock start to dim and then go out, along with climate control and stereo, then the gauges started fluttering, and eventually fell dead, so I pulled to the shoulder again, and the entire scenario repeated. When I got into the city, everything was fine. All power, car was running fine, no strange noises I could detect. Parked the car checked under the hood to see if anything obvious was wrong. No smells, no sounds, everything seemed normal. I revved the motor to around 4K for a couple of seconds but everything remained normal with no load on the motor. If anyone has had any similar experiences or can offer ideas of what might be the problem, it would be greatly appreciated.

Reply to
danZ

Instrument panel ground? If it isn't an obvious grounding issue, you might check the wiring diagram, which I think is in the factory service manual.

Reply to
David

snip

Sounds to me like your alternator is dying/dead. Have your charging system checked - several places will do it free of charge (Autozone for example).

Nirav

96 Max GLE, 111k
Reply to
Nirav J. Modi

Replaced the alternator today. That was fun with a capital F. Everything seems to be fine now, so hopefully that was indeed the problem, and I didn't just waste $300. :) Thanks for the input. Dan

Reply to
danZ

Reply to
John Smith

Reply to
John Smith

Yes, I thoroughly checked all connections, then I checked the voltage at the battery. With the car off it was right at 12V with the car running it was at around 10V, that pretty much confirmed it for me, now with the car running it is 13V-14V, and all is good.

Reply to
danZ

Wow,

Thanks for the heads up as I have a 2000 Maxima that just rolled 100K > Yes, I thoroughly checked all connections, then I checked the voltage at

Reply to
John Smith

Reply to
View from Space

Did you have the alternator/charging system tested before deciding to replace the alternator?

Other wise, as John Smith said, I'll say the same "WOW".

Reply to
Nirav J. Modi