Brake noise - slotter rotors?

'97 Maxima SE, 170k miles.

When the car had 122k miles, I replaced the front stock rotors with Powerslot slotted rotors, and put in new OEM pads. All was well, until recently I started hearing grinding or whirring noise under braking. I checked the pads and the rotors, and there are no visible defects, the pads are worn about half way.

I'm thinking, could this be due to the fact that the new pads have slanted edges, which only go approximately half way into the thickness of the new pad?

Thanks for any insight!

Fil

Reply to
Filipp Stepanov

The leading edges of the pads are probably catching the slots, you will need to bevel the leading edges of the pads to stop it.

Reply to
Steve T

Reply to
Filipp Stepanov

Might end up chewing up the leading edge of the pads? Then again might not do anything.. Drilled rotors make weird noises but don't hurt the pads.

Reply to
Steve T

I thought the original poster stated that the pads had a beveled "edge" already - from the first post:

This wouldn't be the first time I've read about drilled/slotted rotors causing clicking/grinding sounds... Not really sure that there is any need for that sort of rotor (anything other than a blank) on our cars... but thats a discussion for another day.

Just out of curiousity, are slotted rotors directional? I can imagine that if the slots are cut (direction of slot) in the opposite direction to the rotation of the disc (going forward) - you might have more of a grinding/cutting effect... hard to explain in words, but I think you get the gist right?... (most likely I'm blowing smoke ;) )

Nirav

96 Max GLE, 106k
Reply to
Nirav J. Modi

Reread the post, the pads are now worn half way down PAST the beveled part..

Reply to
Steve T

Yes indeed. Thanks for setting me straight Steve.

Nirav

96 Max GLE, 106k
Reply to
Nirav J. Modi

Thanks for your reply,

Yes, they are directi> >

Reply to
Filipp Stepanov

Reply to
Mealy

I don't know if it matters. From what I've read elsewhere on the web, the grooves help vent the gases away from the pad surface. I am just speculating here, but depending on where the calipers are located (on the front side of the rotor, or on the back side, or, in some applications, on the bottom side, to lower center of gravity), it may be benefical to have grooves go in certain direction, so that forward movement of the car helps draw the gases away. It may be that this is all done just for looks on a road car, hence the non-directional rotors on your neighbor's Mercedes. I'd imagine, their engineers know better. Again, I was just speculating...

Reply to
Filipp Stepanov

I am just speculating

Or push the pads in a specific direction under braking. I have also seen discs with directional internal vanes, such as Corvettes, which must be oriented properly for cooling purposes but never that fancy on a Maxima.

Matthew

01 Max SE
Reply to
maxima1