Help with Tire Sizing please, 2002 SE Tires on 2002 GLE Rims

A 2002 GLE takes 215/55R-17s A 2002 SE takes 225/50R-17s GLE Rims are 7" wide, not sure about the SE rims.

As the selection of tires for the GLE is poor, I am looking for comments/advice if I were to use the SE's larger tires.

By my calculation, the tire would be about 1/2" taller and the axle will be about 1/4" higher off the ground. I assume the speedometer slowdown would be minimal, but I am most concerned with the rim width fit of the GLE vs. the SE tires.

Thanks for your input! Pat

Reply to
Pat

Adding 10mm width is a common practice. 225/55R17s are the better alternative size, but 225/50R17 shouldn't cause much speedo error. Just be sure you don't run the tires on too low on pressure since the oversized width is slightly more susceptible to underinflation damage.

Dave

Reply to
David Geesaman

Thanks Dave. I found a specs page at Tirerack.com with more detail than I had before.. the 225/55's are actually another inch taller in diameter than the 225/50s, which are already taller than my original 215/55s. I'm going to go with the 225/50s as they are closest in diameter, while still being 10mm wider.

Pat

Reply to
Pat

helped me to figure this out:

215x55R17 has a diameter of 82.7". 225x50R17 has 81.2" (-1.8%) and 225x55R17 has 84.0 (+1.6%). In either case, you're looking at a speedo error of 1mph at 70mph, not a big deal.

I would go with the size that offers the most options and best prices, but really it's almost a wash - they are both about the same.

Dave

Reply to
David Geesaman

SE rims are 7-inch width as well, which is fine for 225/50-17.

Matthew

Reply to
maxima1

I found meaningful specs at tirerack:

Bridgestone Turanzas (stock on my 2002 GLE)

Pilot Sport A/S
Bridgestones: 215/55 26.3" tall 779 revs per mile Michelins: 225/55 27.1" tall (+0.8) 764 rpm (-15) 225/50 26.1" tall (-0.2) 795 rpm (+16) 235/50 26.6" tall (+0.3) 777 rpm (-2)

After looking it over I guess I have a few choices after all, and they are ok for use with a 7" rim. The 235s are looking good from an odometer perspective (I know its negligible) but I like the wider tire look too..

So now I'm wondering how much wet / snow traction would I LOSE by adding 20mm of width???? Is 20mm negligible here?

Thanks again for the comments.. if anyone learns anything from this thread, it is that there ARE other tires out there if you deviate a little. Tirerack shows what rim widths are good with each tire size.

Pat

Reply to
Pat

I know 10mm is no big deal, but 20mm makes me a little nervous. Someone with more experience is free to correct me, but at +20 I suspect it can affect the durability of the bead and the flex in the sidewall could cause uneven wear. You definitely won't want to run +20s low on air since that would be extra hard on them.

I suggest you call them and ask - but since the Pilot Sport A/S comes in a better fitting size, I'd go with the 225/50 R17. The extra 1mph gets lost real quick in rolling (actual) diameter variances due to vehicle weight and speedometer error.

Dave

Reply to
David Geesaman

Wide tires suck in the wet or snow, and putting 235's on 7-inch rims will make the car feel sloppy in any weather. I have 235's on another car, and they are banana peels when wet. In fact, I can't even take that car (a BMW 528) out of the garage in the snow on those tires If you live anywhere it snows, you'd be amazed at the performance of winter tires. I use a set of 15-inch Michelin Alpins from Dec-March, and it is well worth the investment. The car pulls like a tractor and I can actually pass snow plows on the back roads. Buy some low-cost winter tires, and then you can use anything you want for the summer months. And you'll save your expensive alloy rims from winter salt as well.

Matthew

01 Maxima SE (15inch Michelin Alpin winter tires) 00 BMW 528 Sport (16inch Bridgestone Blizzak winter tires)
Reply to
maxima1

I'll agree with you both and get the 225/50s..

I know having 2 sets of tires/wheels would be preferred, but there are so many days when the roads are dry during the winter that I think all-seasons are good enough for me. That, and my garage is already crammed full of junk!

Thanks to all for the feedback, it is much appreciated. Pat

Reply to
Pat

Dave,

I wound up ordering the first size you recommended (225/55/17). Decided on 55s over the 50s for a couple of reasons, including larger circumference (might help my already poor gas mileage a bit), and also because I'd rather have more rubber/air between the rim and the road.

Last night I drove 30 miles of highway in the rain.. white knuckle doing 45-60mph on my Bridgestones.. same scary ride as my previous Max with the same tires, and these fronts still have plenty of tread! I'm tired of it! Looking forward to the Michelin Pilot A/S.

Thanks again to all for the advice Pat

"David Geesaman" wrote:

Reply to
Pat