85 series tires on Tacoma?

I'm getting tired of putting gas in my 2002 Prerunner, 3.4 V-6 A/T. Since it was new, 85,000 ago it has gottten 16 mpg in town. I'm thinking of putting 215 x 85 x 16 tires on it and try for a little more mpg. Just wondering if anyone has done this, and the results. The narrower tires have to roll a lot easies. Also wondering if the stock width rims would be Ok with the 85 tires. Any users out there?

Reply to
Sailor

I went to 30X9.50X15 and 8" wide wheels from the 31X10.5X15 and 7" wide wheels on my 3.4 v-6 A/t '99 Tacoma with very little change in gas mileage. The in town mileage is now 16 to 17 whereas it was 15 to 16. It does drive a little better, I.E., smoother acceleration and better braking. The highway mileage is about the same. (both corrected for odometer error) I think the higher ground clearance of the Tacoma 4X4 and Prerunner causes drag that has more effect on mileage than changing tire size up or down one or two notches. The 31's measured 30.5" diameter with 8.5" tread width and the 30's are 29.4" diameter with 7.5" tread width.

This tire size calculator might help you decide what to do-

Unless you spendaround $200.00 for the electronics to correct your speedometer/odometeryou will have to live with it.
Toyotadoes not offer any fix for it

Reply to
Anyolmouse
7.5" | tread width. | | This tire size calculator might help you decide what to do- |
Unless you spend| around $200.00 for the electronics to correct yourspeedometer/odometer| you will have to live with it.
Toyota| does not offer any fix for it| | -- | Anyolmouse

Ooops- that was Ford info on the speedo correction. Here is one on Toyota-

offers corporate packages that have access to 100,000+newsgroups

Reply to
Anyolmouse

On Jun 30, 10:16=EF=BF=BDpm, "Anyolmouse" wrote= :

um Corporate Usenet News Provider ----

corporate= packages that have access to 100,000+ newsgroups

I think it's interesting that your mileage increased, considering the new tire diameter was smaller than the orig, and the motor would be turning faster.

Reply to
Sailor

changing

do-

you spend> around $200.00 for the electronics to correct yourspeedometer/odometer> you will have to live with it. ?
does not offer any fix for it>

Provider ----

corporate packages that haveaccess to 100,000+ newsgroups

I think it's interesting that your mileage increased, considering the new tire diameter was smaller than the orig, and the motor would be turning faster.

The only thing I can think of is that the v-6 is not working as hard. According to a mechanic friend the bigger tires can and do cause problems unless the gear ratio is changed to keep the engine in it's power range.

Reply to
Anyolmouse

Be sure you keep the tailgate closed, especially on the highway. Open tailgates or those pre-runner-type fish nets will reduce your MPG. Probably not a big difference, but at today's prices, every little bit helps...

Reply to
TOM

TOM found these unused words:

... windows closed, even a tarp over the box ... !

I gained 2+ mpg buy putting on a shell on my DC.

Reply to
Sir F. A. Rien

I have a 1988 Toyota pickup that I bought new. Even with the 22R engine, I can smoke the right rear tire if I pop the clutch. A shell would probably help, but after 20 years, I don't think I'll bother... :>))

Speaking of poor traction, I always have to laugh when I see a show about a diesel Dodge, GM, or Ford pickup with a Bully Dog or other power adder system. They can't help but show the thing doing a tire boiling burnout (usually the right tire only) as if it's supposed to impress the viewer. I think to myself, 'OK, you just proved the thing has crappy traction, what else can you show me?'

Reply to
TOM