How much comes out the drain plug?

I am planning to do a simple drain and fill on the auto trans on a '96 I30 (Maxima). The service manual describes the procedure but only provides the total capacity of the trans (10 qts). Can anyone tell me how much will actually come out by just opening the drain plug?

(please -- no lectures about how I should disassemble it or have it power flushed, etc. I am just looking for the answer to this question.)

Reply to
E. Meyer

About 4qts

Reply to
JimV

I typically get a little over 4 quarts. Depending on whether fluid is cold or hot. Buy 5 to be safe

Reply to
Roger

You can change it *all* without opening the trans with nothing more than

4' of 5/16" tubing. But you didn't want to know that, right?
Reply to
Jim

Hey... maybe *we* would :-)

I know how to do it by disconnecting the return line from the cooler... messy, but it works.

FWIW... draining the pan every 15-20 K miles or so and refilling that

4 quarts keeps fluid fresh and that's what is important... and it's easy enough to do it with every engine oil change if you wanted.

BuddyWh

Reply to
BuddyWh

You disconnect the pressure line (the one with the banjo fitting on the trans side) slip the 5/16" hose over it and stick it into a gallon container, start engine, wait for bottle to fill (a minute or two), shut off engine, put 4 quarts of new fluid in the trans, repeat until the fluid coming out is clean. Not messy at all. I just can't see the sense of pouring 4 qts of clean fluid into 6 dirty ones. Besides, it's quicker and easier than dropping the pan and since it has a screen and not a filter, it's not necessary to change it (I have changed a bunch though and they are always pretty clean).

-jim

Reply to
Jim

Reply to
john smith

Thanks. It is kind of surprising that the amount is not listed in the book. On my Hondas/Acuras, they tell you exactly how much will come out for a drain and fill.

Reply to
E. Meyer

Reply to
E. Meyer

Right.

Reply to
E. Meyer

My thoughts exactly. The only missing piece of info was how much is going to come out (don't need to buy 10 qts if I only need 4 or 5). I was surprised that the FSM does not list the quantity of fluid needed for a drain and fill, since that is the only procedure recommended and described in the book. My Honda & Acura both specified to the tenth of a quart how much to put back in after draining.

Reply to
E. Meyer

While we're on the topic - I know when the tranny pan is dropped, the FSM recommends that all the pan bolts be replaced with new ones... is there a washer (like the oil pan nut washer) that needs to be replaced for the tranny drain bolt if just a drain and fill is performed ?

Cheers, Nirav

96 Max GLE, 106k
Reply to
Nirav J. Modi

Good question. The FSM doesn't show one. I thought I would ask the parts guy at Nissan when I pick up the fluid. Honda uses an aluminum crush washer similar to the one on the oil drain plug.

Reply to
E. Meyer

I just pulled the plug (use a 19mm socket). It has the same copper crush washer that they use on the oil drain plug. We're watching it drain now, waiting to see how much actually comes out (similar to waiting for a watched pot to boil).

Reply to
E. Meyer

I let it drain for about an hour until the little stream turned into drops. Right at 6 quarts came out (which surprised the guys at Courtesy Nissan - they told me 4 quarts would be plenty - maybe because its an I30 rather than a US Maxima?).

There wasn't really anything wrong with it in the first place, other its age and mileage (8 yrs, 93k miles). The old fluid still looked good, color not discernibly different than the new, they smell the same, no pieces of anything in it. I was surprised that the drain plug does not have a magnetic probe (the Hondas do).

Reply to
E. Meyer

Auto tranny fluid doesn't get "dirty"... at least not in the same sense as engine oil that has to contend with carbon build up from cumbustion blow-by. I imagine the main problem is it's friction and lubricity properties change over time and use as the oil shears down. It takes a long time for it to change significantly, though... unless there is serious slippage... or abuse... causing overheating.

If the fluid has changed to a dark burgundy red and smells burnt then I definitely agree to change it all! But that should not happen in only 15K miles... look for more serious problems!

AT fluid in normal service lasts so long that many auto manufacturers don't even recommend a change interval (I can't remember.. does Nissan???).

The "dirt", clutch filings and metal fillings, pretty much just settle into the bottom of the pan over time where the magnets keep it (metal, at least) out of the flow.

BuddyWh

Reply to
BuddyWh

Thanks for the update... I assume you bought Nissan fluid - since you mention Courtesy Nissan. How much does that run a quart? (just wondering if it is much more than off-the-shelf equivalently rated fluid).

Nirav

96 Max GLE, 106k
Reply to
Nirav J. Modi

I bought Nissan fluid at Courtesy. The dealership is only 4 miles from my house. It was slightly over $4/qt. Ask first - the price seems to vary by a dollar or so depending on which counter guy you talk to.

Reply to
E. Meyer