How much oil- 93 Pathfinder VG30E

Dont laugh....
How do VG30E owners determine how much oil to put in when changing oil and filter? I ask b/c the manual would say 3 5/8qt. Not wanting to measure
5/8 of a quart, I use 3 and half quarts. This was too much which does not make sense. The result is creating oil leaks when there is too much oil in the engine (I hope I did not damage anything? I hope it will stop dripping in my garage now that I have fixed). Yes, the obvious answer is fill, check the dip stick, fill more or remove some if needed. If you overfill the dip stick does not do a good job of showing it (it is more of a wire than flat metal like the trans dip stick. My guess is the drain bolt is not exactly on the pan, thus the difference. I guess just 3qt should do it? Maybe 3.25qt?
I put in 5 quarts regardless...no leaks or problems to date. The empty oil filter takes up some of the excess oil.
Jim Rojas

Jim Rojas wrote:

That is smart - overfilling by 1 3/8 quarts. I don't think it is a leakage problem - rather a crankshaft windage problem. The oil may contact the spinning crankshaft and cause it to foam. This is not good for your bearings.
--
Rob Munach, PE
Excel Engineering
Rob Munach wrote:

I may have misspoke. The excess oil hitting the crakshaft causes drag. It also can fling against your cylinder walls which can overload the oil control rings.
--
Rob Munach, PE
Excel Engineering

This usually happens when people forget to drain the old oil first.

A lot of the Nissan owners I talk to just use 4 quarts. The extra 3/8 quart will not have any adverse effects.
Dustin
If the engine is warm when you change the oil and you let it drain for about 10 minutes (and of course change the filter), you'll want to use the 3 5/8qt. to refill it.
I use Pennzoil 5W30 in my '95 and the quart bottles have a window running up the side with the ounces marked off accordingly. So it's a piece of cake on mine to add the required amount. 3 quarts and 20 ounces later, I know it's filled properly. :-)
Wil